- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 32 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 20, 1999
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: Live / Artisan
Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
Packaging: Keep Case
Dolby Digital Surround Sound
Additional Release Material:
- Mark Goldblatt - Director
Cast And Crew Information
Performers, Cast and Crew:
A veteran cop loses his family and almost his own life to a Mafia car bomb. Now a shadowy figure living for revenge lashes out at the crime world. Only the cop's ex-partner believes he survived the blast to become the punisher. But one thing is for certain, the guilty will be punished.
"The Punisher" details the exploits of the comic book antihero in his first and only screen outing.
After the mafia ices his wife and children, New York cop Frank Castle vanishes into the bowels of the city sewer system, nurturing his vengeance. He spends the next few years stepping out of and back into the urban shadows as he picks off Gotham's big-shot Italian gangsters.
Then Lady Tanaka, a smoldering Japanese crime-lord, enters this grim scene and heads begin to roll. Castle initially gets a kick out of her bloody antics and the newly cannibalistic underworld.
But when Tanaka and her cronies kidnap a rival's kids, Castle decides to intercede and show her exactly how killing is done in the Big Apple.
Comic Book |
Organized Crime |
Theatrical Release |
- "The Punisher" was the only film released by the division of New World Pictures known as the Down Under company, before the subsidiary went bankrupt.
- Based on the Marvel Comics Character. The Punisher TM and copyright 1990 Marvel Entertainment Group, Inc.
- 1989 Marvel Entertainment Group, Inc. Copyright 1989 New World Pictures (Australia) Ltd.
- Color by Eastmancolor. Recorded in Dolby sound.