The Baby Maker (Widescreen)
Warner Archive Collection (series)
Barbara Hershey plays a free spirit who agrees to bear a child for a childless couple in this early look at the phenomenon of surrogate motherhood, co-starring Scott Glenn.
|CYBER SALE:||$11.13 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.86 (38% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 49 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: March 23, 2009
- Originally Released: 1970
- Label: Warner Archive Collection (MOD)
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Barbara Hershey, Scott Glenn & Sam Groom|
|Directed by||James Bridges|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Emmy-winner and Oscar-nominee Barbara Hershey ("Portrait of a Lady," "Hannah and Her Sisters") plays a free spirit who agrees to bear a child for a childless couple in this early look at the phenomenon of surrogate motherhood. Co-starring Scott Glenn ("The Silence of the Lambs," "The Right Stuff"), this is the first feature by director James Bridges ("Urban Cowboy," "The China Syndrome").
Barbara Hershey stars as Tish Gray, a free-spirited woman who agrees to act as a surrogate mother for Suzanne and Jay Wilcox (Collin Wilcox-Horne and Sam Groom), an affluent Beverly Hills couple that is unable to conceive a child on its own. Unfortunately, the arrangement is not as simple as it seems; for starters, Tish must allow herself to be impregnated by Jay, causing considerable strain on Tish's own relationship with her boyfriend (Scott Glenn) as well as on Jay's insecure wife. During Tish's pregnancy, powerful emotions emerge on both sides, devastating the possibility of a normal relationship between the two estranged couples. When Tish is faced with the reality of giving up "her" baby, she is forced to realize the very real connection she has made with her child and the father. In the 1970s, surrogate parenting was still considered to be an extremely radical topic; however, THE BABY MAKER offers a thoroughly modern treatment of a timeless dilemma.
James Bridges directed this challenging tale of a couple that is unable to conceive a child and so finds a young girl willing to carry the husband's baby for them. But the decision has repercussions for everyone involved.
- The film marked the directorial debut of James Bridges, who went on to direct such films as URBAN COWBOY and THE CHINA SYNDROME.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 49,925
- UPC: 883316125809
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd (FS) (DVD-R)
$12.37 CYBER SALE
Top ranking titles in the Drama genre:
- The Best of Tromadance Film Festival, Volume 4 (DVD) ~ 59¢ CYBER SALE
- The Graduate (Widescreen) (Decades Collection) (Includes Bonus Audio CD) (DVD) ~ $2.39 CYBER SALE
- Dante's View (DVD) ~ 59¢ CYBER SALE
- They Made Me a Criminal / Lady Gangster (DVD) ~ 69¢ CYBER SALE
- Rutger Hauer Double Feature: Beyond Justice / Escape from Sobibor (DVD) ~ 69¢ CYBER SALE