Canyon Hawks (1930) / Flying Lariats (1931)
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 31 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 1, 2011
- Originally Released: 1930
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Yakima Canutt & Wally Wales|
|Directed by||Alvin J. Neitz & David Kirkland|
Description by OLDIES.com:
An ultra-rare early talkie distributed by motion-picture pioneer John Freuler's Big 4 Film Corporation, Canyon Hawks holds a special place in B-Western history as the only sound-era production that gives a starring role to legendary stuntman Yakima Canutt. The former rodeo rider had toplined numerous horse operas during the 1920s, but his oddly pitched voice reproduced poorly on early sound recordings and Yak was swiftly demoted to supporting roles (mostly playing heavies) and doubling for the young John Wayne, and other film stars.
Starring Yakima Canutt, Buzz Barton, Renee Borden, Robert Walker; Written and Directed by Alvin J. Neitz.
Flying Lariats (1931, B&W): Wally Dunbar and his brother Sam try to determine how they can help their financially strapped neighbors, Pop Starr and his headstrong daughter Bonnie. The bashful Sam has a crush on Bonnie and persuades Wally to court her on his behalf. The ensuing romantic complications are forgotten when crooked cashier Tex Johnson cheats the bank out of $5000 and disappears with it. The Sheriff enlists Wally in his posse, forcing him to devote his attention to bringing in the thief.
Another seldom-seen Big 4 production from the early talkie era, Flying Lariats showcases the considerable skills of top-billed Wally Wales - who, in an earlier life under his real name, Floyd Alderson, was actually a working cowboy. Wales enjoyed a respectable starring career in cheap Westerns but is more highly regarded for his later work as a character actor, billed as Hal Taliaferro. This modest but amusing production is graced with a novel plot and a dollop of romantic comedy arising from a case of mistaken identity.
Starring Wally Wales, Fred Church, Sam Garrett, Bonnie Jean Gray; Written and Directed by David Kirkland.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
- Sales Rank: 3,369
- UPC: 089218665690
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Top ranking titles in the Westerns genre:
- Santa Fe Trail (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- The Randolph Scott Round-Up, Volume 2: 6 Classic Westerns (2-DVD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Gun Packer (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 3 Pack Westerns: The Way West / Escort West / Chato's Land (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Tom Keene Double Feature: Wanderers of the West (1941) / Drums of Destiny (1937) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE