All Star Road Band, Volume 1
Collectables Jazz Classics (series)
|CYBER SALE:||$8.78 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.19 (41% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Doctor Jazz 39137 (1957)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Some of the jazz heavyweights performing on this live album include Cootie Williams, Johnny Hodges, and Herbie Jones, and the album shines with all-star line-up of Ellington tunes such as "Satin Doll," "Mood Indigo," and "Stompin' At The Savoy." Recorded live in Carrolltown, Pennsylvania in 1957.
- 1.Take The A Train
- 2.Take The A Train (Vocals By Ray Mance)
- 3.Such Sweet Thunder
- 5.Cop Out
- 7.Mood Indigo
- 9.Sophisticated Lady
- 11.Jeep's Blues
- 12.All Of Me
- 13.Diminuendo And Crescendo In Blue
- 14.I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
- 15.On The Sunny Side Of The Street
Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Ray Nance (vocals, cornet); Russell Procope (alto saxophone, clarinet); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Jimmy Hamilton (tenor saxophone, clarinet); Paul Gonsalves (tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (baritone saxophone, clarinet); Harold "Shorty" Baker, Willie Cook, Clark Terry (trumpet); Quentin Jackson, Britt Woodman, John Sanders (trombone); Joe Benjamin (bass); Sam Woodyard (drums).
Recorded live in Carroltown, Pennsylvannia in June 1957. Includes original release liner notes by Bob Thiele, Mercer Ellington and new liner notes by Stanley Dance.
Digitally remastered by Ken Robertson.
The second ALL STAR ROAD BAND album captures the Duke Ellington Orchestra live in a 1964 performance at the Holiday Ballroom in Chicago. This dance concert gives a taste of how Duke and his constantly touring band sounded at the dawn of the '60s rock explosion.
Old friends like Johnny Hodges, Cootie Williams, Jimmy Hamilton, and Paul Gonsalves are on hand and all are in fine form. The set list is a familiar one laced with old favorites like "Mood Indigo," "Satin Doll," and "C-Jam Blues." In a nod to popular tastes, Duke offers an appealing big band take on Don Williams' country hit "I Can't Stop Lovin' You."
Benny GoodmanBenny In Brussels, Volume 1 / Benny In Brussels, Volume 2 (CD)
$3.98 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
Great Duke Music Lover: JazzFan Havrais from LE HAVRE, Seine-Maritime FR -- December, 21, 2005
The every night ordinary concert of the Duke Ellington Orchestra in the 50s is worth a worldwide event of today. This is one of the top bands Duke had, full of grat soloists, captured with a good sound. Highly recommended
- Sales Rank: 16,819
- UPC: 090431665626
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- !!! Louden Up Now (2-LP) ~ $15.95 CYBER SALE
- !!! Must Be The Moon (3vrs) (Import) (12") ~ $6 CYBER SALE
- The "5" Royales Catch That Teardrop (CD) ~ $13.17 CYBER SALE
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $7.49 CYBER SALE
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3 CYBER SALE