Love Story / Piano & Pen (2-CD)
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$8.48 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1249 (1956)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1314 (1959)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Dave Pell, the tenor sax and woodwind master, helped create modern West Coast "hip" jazz. On this album, the Pell group is joined by pianists Andre Previn and Claude Williamson. Dick Katz was an in-demand sessionman for such artists as Stan Getz before striking out on his own.
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Can't We Be Friends
- 2.I've Got A Crush On You
- 3.I've Got A Feelin I'm Falling
- 4.Love Is The Sweetest Thing
- 5.If I Could Be With You One Hour Tonight
- 6.Let's Do It
- 7.You Can't Pull The Whool Over My Eyes
- 8.Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered
- 9.Just One More Chance
- 10.Who Walks In When I Walk Out
- 12.I've Found A New Baby
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 3.Duologue No. 1
- 4.Glad To Be Unhappy
- 5.Round Trip
- 6.Afternoon In Paris
- 7.Ain't Misbehavin'
- 8.Scrapple From The Apple
Originally released as two separate LPs: Dave Pell Octet: LOVE STORY (1956)/Dick Katz: PIANO & PEN (1959).
Includes liner notes by Dick Katz and Martin Williams.
Dave Pell Octet: Dave Pell (tenor saxophone, bass clarinet, English horn); Maury Berman (baritone saxophone); Don Fagerquist (trumpet); Ray Sims (trombone); Andre Previn, Claude Williamson (piano); Tony Rizzi (guitar); Mel Pollan (bass); Irv Kluger (drums).
Producer: Nesuhi Ertegun.
Engineer: John Kraus.
Originally released on Atlantic (1249).
PIANO & PEN:
Personnel: Dick Katz (piano); Chuck Wayne, Jimmy Rainey (guitar); Joe Benjamin (bass); Connie Kay (drums).
Producer: John Lewis.
Engineer: Tom Dowd.
Originally released on Atlantic (1314).
Personnel: Dave Pell (bass clarinet, English horn, tenor saxophone); Chuck Wayne, Jimmy Rainey, Tony Rizzi (guitar); Don Fagerquist (trumpet); Ray Sims (trombone); Claude Williamson, Dick Katz, Andr‚ Previn (piano); Connie Kay, Irv Kluger (drums).
On this double CD, Love Story by the Dave Pell Octet is the dull next-door neighbor to pianist Dick Katz's swinging quartet on Piano & Pen. The Pell Octet, essentially a unit from within Les Brown's band, is the purveyor of pleasant, skillfully arranged and executed music. Its predecessors, like those of Brown's band, are the sweet bands of the swing era and the society bands from before that. Although reed player Pell and his bandmembers, including pianists Andr‚ Previn and Claude Williamson, were mainstays of the West Coast jazz scene of the 1950s, jazz takes a back seat to the arrangements on this session from 1956. Solo space is brief, with the players hewing so closely to the melodies that solos sound written out. While the musicianship and arrangements (including four from Marty Paich) are very good, the general lack of substantive improvisation makes this set of limited interest to jazz fans. Redeeming things considerably, Piano & Pen is a cool, swinging set from 1959 that updates the sound of the Nat Cole Trio's instrumental sides. Katz, who first caught the public's attention working with clarinetist Tony Scott and who later worked with Stan Getz, Kenny Dorham, Ben Webster, Sonny Rollins, and others, is joined by superb bop guitarists Chuck Wayne and Jimmy Rainey on four tunes apiece. The guitarists share the lead with Katz, weaving complementary or contrapuntal lines around the pianist's uncluttered playing. The same approach extends to the rhythm section of bassist Joe Benjamin and drummer Connie Kay, who each operate with some independence from the other, but who also come together as a unit. Among the highlights are Wayne's hot, precise lines on "Scrapple from the Apple" and Rainey's clean and sustaining horn-like tone on the pieces where he is featured. ~ Jim Todd
Milt JacksonArt of Milt Jackson / Soul Brothers (with Ray Charles)... (CD)
$12.98 on SALE
Charlie ByrdBamba-Samba Bossa Nova (Featuring the Woody Herman Big Band) (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Barney KesselBreakfast At Tiffany's / Bossa Nova / Contemporary Latin... (CD)
$3.98 on SALE
Phineas Newborn, Jr.Plays Harold Arlen's Music From "Jamaica" / Fabulous Phineas (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Curtis FullerSouth American Cooking / Magnificent Trombone Of (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 45,795
- UPC: 090431662427
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
It Had To Be You: 24 Standards In Singer's Keys (CD)
$18.71 Super Savings
St. Louis Blues: Traditional Dixieland Classics (CD)
$15.39 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $4
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $4
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE