Jazz At Preservation Hall / Here Is Chris Barber
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$5.24 (35% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1410 (1963)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1292 (1958)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Composed of musicians whose life stories cover the whole range of the jazz legend, Paul Barbarin & His Jazz Band and Punch Miller's Bunch were two true artists of New Orleans' Bourbon Street. They're joined on this Jazz at Preservation Hall album by saxophonist George Lewis and by an outing from UK trombonist and Dixieland band leader Chris Barber.
- 1.Slide Frog Slide
- 2.The Second Line
- 3.Give It Up
- 4.Too Late
- 5.Take A Ferry Boat Down To New Orleans
- 6.Corrina Corrina
- 8.Nobody Knows The Way I Feel This Morning
- 9.Tiger Rag
- 10.Preservation Blues
- 12.Everybody Loves My Baby
- 13.Tishomingo Blues
- 14.You Don't Understand
- 15.Magnolia's Wedding Day
- 16.Doin' The Crazy Walk
- 17.Diga Diga Doo
- 18.Bill Bailey
- 19.Willie The Weeper
- 20.Trombone Cholly
- 21.Papa De-Da-Da
- 22.Tuxedo Rag
2 LPs on 1 CD: Paul Barbarin & His Jazz Band/Punch Miller's Bunch/JAZZ AT PRESERVATION HALL 3 (1963)/Chris Barber/HERE IS CHRIS BARBER (1958).
JAZZ AT PRESERVATION HALL 3:
Paul Barbarin & His Jazz Band: Paul Barbarin (drums); Ernie Cagnolatti (trumpet); Waldren "Frog" Joseph (trombone); Louis Cottrell (clarinet);
Emanuel Sayles (banjo); Lester Santiago (piano); Placide Adams (bass).
Punch Miller's Bunch: Ernest "Punch" Miller (trumpet); Louis Nelson (trombone); George Lewis (clarinet); Emanuel Sayles (banjo); Papa John Jospeh (bass); Abbey "Chinee" Foster (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1410).
HERE IS CHRIS BARBER:
Personnel includes: Chris Barber (trombone); Pat Halcox (trumpet); Monty Sunshine (clarinet); Lonnie Donegan (banjo); Jim Bray (bass); Ron Bowden (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1292).
Personnel: Paul Barbarin (drums); Ottilie Patterson (vocals); Eddie Smith (banjo, clarinet); Emanuel Sayles, Lonnie Donegan (banjo); Patrick Halcox (trumpet, cornet); Ernie Cagnolatti (trumpet); Chris Barber , Louis Nelson (trombone); Lester Santiago (piano); Ron Bowden, Graham Burbridge (drums).
Both of these sessions are from the Atlantic vaults and have been paired up and reissued on CD by Collectables. Along with their respective bands, both Paul Barbarin and Chris Barber provide authentic New Orleans jazz performed at Preservation Hall in 1963. While these musicians were getting on in age, that didn't stop them from vigorous playing. This is authentic Crescent City jazz, played by some of the original practitioners, and it shows, especially in the traditional tunes "Slide Frog Slide," "Nobody Knows the Way I Feel This Morning," and "Preservation Blues." On the other hand, trombonist Chris Barber and his band from England attempt Dixieland, and compared to the previously mentioned music, his session is less gritty, bordering at times on corny with tunes like "Bill Bailey," "Diga Diga Doo," and "Everybody Loves My Baby." ~ Al Campbell
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 42,530
- UPC: 090431661024
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $4
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $4
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE
Top ranking titles in the From the Vaults of Atlantic Records series:
- Art Farmer Interaction (Featuring Jim Hall) / Sing Me Softly of The Blues (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Eddie Harris Excursions (2-CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Herbie Mann A Mann & A Woman (with Tamiko Jones) / Recorded In Rio De Janeiro (with Joao Gilberto & Antonio Carlos Jobim) (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Bobby Short Loves Cole Porter / Guess Who's In Town (2-CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Herbie Mann Our Man Flute / Impressions of The Middle East (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE