Midnight At Mabel Mercer's / Once In A Blue Moon (2-CD)
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|CYBER SALE:||$10.38 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.59 (39% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: September 26, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1244 (1956)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1301 (1968)
Description by OLDIES.com:
This double compact disc includes two complete albums originally recorded for Atlantic Records and released in the mid-1950's. Highlights include Rodgers & Hart's "He Was Too Good To Me," Romberg & Hammerstein's "Just Once Around The Clock" and Noel Coward's "If Love Were All."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Just Once Around The Clock
- 2.Poor Pierrot
- 3.Young And Foolish
- 4.It's A Lie, It's A Fake!
- 6.Is It Always Like This?
- 7.Blame It On My Youth
- 8.Wait 'til You See Her
- 9.He Was Too Good To Me
- 10.Wouldn't It Be Loverly
- 11.Lazy Afternoon
- 12.Mandy, Make Up Your Mind
- 13.Lonely Little Boy
- 15.Lucky To Be Me
- 16.Some Other Time
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Once In A Blue Moon
- 2.In The Spring Of The Year
- 3.Look At 'im
- 4.Guess I'll Go Back Home
- 5.I'm Glad I'm Not Young Any More
- 6.My Shining Hour
- 7.The Twelve Days Of Christmas
- 8.Whenever Winds Blow
- 9.Isn't He Adorable
- 10.Isn't It A Pitty
- 11.If You Leave Paris
- 12.Sunday In New York
- 13.If Love Were All
- 14.Sail Away
2 LPS on 2 CDs: MIDNIGHT AT MABEL MERCER'S (1955)/ONCE IN A BLUE MOON (1956).
MIDNIGHT AT MABEL MERCER'S:
Personnel includes: Mabel Mercer (vocals); George Cory (arranger, piano); Sam Hamilton (piano); Milt Hinton (bass).
Recorded in New York, New York in 1955. Originally released on Atlantic (1244). Includes liner notes by Victor Lownes III.
ONCE IN A BLUE MOON:
Personnel includes: Mabel Mercer (vocals); George Cory (arranger, conductor, piano).
Recorded in New York, New York in 1956. Originally released on Atlantic (1301). Includes liner notes by Roger Whitaker.
Photographer: Marcus Blechman.
Probably the greatest cabaret artist of them all, Mabel Mercer can take some getting used to. Her queenly diction and comic Margaret Dumont-like delivery can be off-putting to listeners brought up on jazz. Unlike her great contemporary Lee Wiley, Mercer is not that personal a singer, either. Like an old-school psychoanalyst, the emotion she expresses through her unparalleled mastery of lyrics is that of her audience reflected back to itself.
The 1955 Atlantic LP MIDNIGHT AT MABEL MERCER'S is representative of the set she performed nightly in various rooms in post-war New York throughout the late '40s and' 50s, where her fans included Frank Sinatra and Ava Gardner as well as Atlantic producer Ahmet Ertegun. While the psychologically deeper MABEL MERCER SINGS COLE PORTER remains the essential Mercer album, MIDNIGHT has the more varied set list and includes such highlights as the Comden-Green-Bernstein classics "Lucky To be Me" and "Some Other Time." ONCE IN A BLUE MOON (1956) offers a somewhat more obscure set of tunes though it does boast Mercer's classic rendition of "The Twelve Days Of Christmas" as well as Noel Coward's "If Love Was All."
Marilyn MayeMeet Marvelous Marilyn Maye / The Lamp Is Low (CD)
$10.38 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 55,331
- UPC: 090431660324
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- !!! Louden Up Now (2-LP) ~ $15.95 CYBER SALE
- !!! Must Be The Moon (3vrs) (Import) (12") ~ $6 CYBER SALE
- The "5" Royales Catch That Teardrop (CD) ~ $13.17 CYBER SALE
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $7.49 CYBER SALE
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3 CYBER SALE