Wilbur de Paris
Wild Jazz Age / On The Riviera
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$9.33 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$5.64 (38% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1336 (1960)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1363 (1961)
Description by OLDIES.com:
On these two albums originally released on Atlantic, Wilbur de Paris presents us with a veritable smorgasbord of the all the music he was so extraordinary at playing: blues, hymns, jazz, pop, standards, and show tunes. "On The Riviera" was recorded live at the 1960 Antibes Jazz Festival.
- 1.Runnin' Wild
- 2.That Thing Called Love
- 4.Baby Won't You Please Come Here
- 5.Twelfth Street Rag
- 6.Blues Ingee
- 7.When My Sugar Walks Down The Street
- 8.Railroad Man
- 10.Tell 'em About Me
- 11.The Charleston
- 12.Creole Love Call
- 13.South Rampart Street Parade
- 14.Tres Moutarde
- 15.Fidgety Feet
- 16.Battle Hymn Of The Republic
- 17.Clarinet Marmalade
- 18.St. Louis Blues
- 20.Muskrat Ramble
2 LPs on 1 CD: THE WILD JAZZ AGE (1960)/WILBUR DE PARIS ON THE RIVIERA (1961).
Includes liner notes by Wilbur De Paris and Raymond Mouly.
THE WILD JAZZ AGE:
Personnel: Wilbur De Paris (trombone, valve trombone); Louis Bacon (vocals); Sidney De Paris, Doc Cheatham (trumpet); Garvin Bushell (piccolo, clarinet, bassoon); Wilbert Kirk (harmonica, drums); Sonny White (piano, organ); John Smith (guitar, banjo); Hayes Alvis (bass).
Producer: Nesuhi Ertegun.
Engineer: Phil Macy.
WILBUR DE PARIS ON THE RIVIERA:
Personnel: Wilbur De Paris (trombone); Sidney De Paris, Doc Cheatham (trumpet); Garvin Bushell (clarinet, bassoon); Wilbert Kirk (harmonica, drums); Sonny White (piano); John Smith (guitar); Hayes Alvis (bass).
Recorded live at the Antibes Jazz Festival, Antibes, France in July 1960.
Personnel: Wilbur De Paris (trombone, valve trombone); Louis Bacon (vocals); John "BJ John" Smith (guitar, banjo); Garvin Bushell (piccolo, clarinet, bassoon); Wilbert Kirk (harmonica, drums); Sidney DeParis (trumpet, cornet); Doc Cheatham (trumpet); Sonny White (piano, organ).
Liner Note Authors: Raymond Mouly; Wilbur De Paris.
Recording information: Antibes Jazz Festival, French Riviera (05/09/1960-07/10/1960).
The Wilbur DeParis band had undergone two major changes by the time it recorded these two albums in 1960. Its longtime clarinetist, Omer Simeon, had died and was replaced by Garvin Bushell (who is heard on clarinet, piccolo, and bassoon). And cornetist Sidney DeParis' increasingly erratic health resulted in Doc Cheatham being added on second trumpet. The addition of Cheatham was a good thing (adding another fine soloist to the group), although Bushell was not on Simeon's level as a jazz soloist. This CD reissues all of the music originally on The Wild Jazz Age and On the Riviera. What is unusual is that most of the songs are Dixieland standards, with the only unusual numbers being "Tres Moutarde," "Railroad Man," "Blues Ingee," "Minorca," and "Tell 'Em About Me." But even the warhorses like "Twelfth Street Rag," "Battle Hymn of the Republic," and "The Charleston" are revived successfully and in often inventive fashion. This set is well worth acquiring by trad jazz fans. ~ Scott Yanow
Benny GoodmanBenny In Brussels, Volume 1 / Benny In Brussels, Volume 2 (CD)
$4.98 on SALE
Jimmy GiuffreJimmy Giuffre 3 / The Music Man (Original Jazz Album) (CD)
$9.33 LABOR DAY
Wilbur de Paris / Yank Lawson & Bob HaggartOver & Over Again / Live At The Roosevelt Grill (2-CD)
$11.03 LABOR DAY
Wilbur de ParisPlays Something Old New Gay Blue / That's A Plenty (CD)
$6.37 LABOR DAY
Wilbur de ParisThe Uproarious Twenties In Dixieland / Wilbur de Paris And... (CD)
$11.03 LABOR DAY
Conte Candoli / Lou LevyWest Coast Wailors / Sings Ballads of The Sad Café (CD)
$9.33 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 20,668
- UPC: 090431660225
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $22.49 LABOR DAY
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 101 Strings Orchestra A Portrait Of 'The Lady' (LP) ~ $7.49 LABOR DAY
- 10DB I Second that Emotion / I Second that Emotion (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 2 Black 2 Strong MMG Burn Baby Burn (LP) ~ $4.99 LABOR DAY
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records Product Series:
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $9.33 LABOR DAY
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I Don't Worry About A Thing / Mose Alive! (CD) ~ $9.33 LABOR DAY
- Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin' (CD) ~ $7.17 LABOR DAY
- Mose Allison Swingin' Machine (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY