Gilberto Gil Nightingale
|You Save:||$9.99 (77% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Elektra 6E-147 (1979)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Nightingale is arguably Gilberto Gil's finest recording achievement. Originally released by Elektra in 1979, this album showcases this true talent's multi-instrumental abilities.
- 2.Goodbye My Girl
- 4.Here And Now
- 7.Maracatu Atomico
- 8.Move Along With Me
- 10.Samba De Los Angeles
Personnel: Gilberto Gil (vocals, guitars).
Gilberto Gil spent much of the 1970s recording at home in Brazil and had one recording issued in America during that time. His first English-speaking record (which was simply self-titled) was issued by Phillips worldwide and briefly by Paramount in the United States. He signed to WEA International in 1977. This album is the first result of that pairing. Nightingale was recorded in Los Angeles with Sergio Mendes, Alex Acuna, Oscasr Castro Neves, and some crack American studio talent that included Don Gruisin and Michael Sembello. The music is polished, bright, and runs the gamut, from the calypso-flavored "Goodbye My Girl," sung in English, to the gorgeous, mid-tempo MPB ballad "Sarara," that opens the disc. Gil recorded a little less than half the set in English, but he sacrificed nothing else musically. His tribute to Ella Fitzgerald, "Ella," is a track Michael Franks would have killed to write and record. The slippery funk backbeat, electric pianos, and skittering backbeat rhythms are simply infectious. The album as a whole is seamless, so utterly happy and carefree it sounds effortless. Check "Alapal ," and the carnivale anthem "Balafon," which cooks with tropicalismo heat. Nightingale is a creative wonder chock full of ideas and fine songs that underscores the sheer inventiveness Gil produced. His ability to seamlessly work with other musicians and his willingness to incorporate differences into a sound thoroughly his own, is what has always set him apart. In 2006 the album was issued on CD in the United States by Collectables. ~ Thom Jurek
Don RalkeBut You've Never Heard Gershwin With Bongos / Savage And... (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Big MillerRevelations And The Blues / Big Miller Sings, Twists,... (CD)
$3.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 5,266
- UPC: 090431659625
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- 3 Grand 3 the Hard Way (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- 3-2 Get Funky Three to Get Funky (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- ABC Abracadabra (CD) ~ $1.99 on SALE
- Academy Of St. Martin In The Fields Mozart - Gallery Of Classics (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Ace of Base Cruel Summer (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Allures Doo Wop Memories (Just For You), Acappella Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Alvin & the Chipmunks Christmas With The Chipmunks, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- America Live (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- American Composers Orchestra Beaser: Chorale Variations / Seven Deadly Sins / Concerto for Piano & Orchestra (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- American Jazz Philharmonic American Jazz Philharmonic (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE