Freddie Hubbard Ride Like The Wind
|You Save:||$2.99 (23% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Freddie Hubbard ~ Bundle of Joy ~ $13.10
- by Freddie Hubbard ~ Only The Best of Freddie Hubbard (8-CD) ~ $46.49 (Save 50%)
- by Freddie Hubbard ~ Skagly ~ $13.10
Products with a similar style:
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Elektra 60029 (1982)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Simply put, Freddie Hubbard is one of the great jazz trumpeters of all time. His beautiful tone and his hard bop style made him one of the most influential jazz men of the early 70s. Originally released in 1982 on Elektra, Ride Like the Wind is a delightfully soulful album that perfectly demonstrates Hubbard's trumpet mastery.
- 1.Hubbard's Cupboard
- 2.This Is It
- 3.Condition Alpha
- 4.Ride Like The Wind
- 7.Two Moods For Freddie
Personnel: Freddie Hubbard (trumpet, flugelhorn, horns); Gene Orloff (vocals); Dan Ferguson (guitar); Dorothy Reasen, Dorothy Remsen (harp); Gerald Vinci, Ronald Folsom, Marvin Limonick, Anatol Kaminsky, Stan Plumer, Frank Foster, Reginald Hill, Stanley Plummer, David Montagu, Robert Sushel, Stuart Canin, Nathan Ross, Sheldon Sanov (violin); Ron Cooper, Mary C. Lane, Ronald Cooper, Fred Seykoura, Raphael Kramer, Frederick Seykora (cello); Bill Perkins, Bob Tricarico, Bud Shank (flute, saxophone); Chuck Findley, Chuck Findly, Gary Grant (trumpet); Vincent DeRosa (French horn, horns); Bill Watrous (trombone); Tommy Johnson (tuba, horns); Bill Mays (keyboards); Bill Maxwell (drums); Jeff Porcaro, Joe Porcaro (percussion).
Liner Note Authors: Freddie Hubbard; Allyn Ferguson.
Photographer: Ron Slenzak.
Arranger: Allyn Ferguson.
Recorded in 1982 by Jeffrey Weber and arranger Allyn Ferguson, this live to two-track digital set showcases Freddie Hubbard in the company of two large bands -- one a brass group, the other a string orchestra -- both of which feature the same rhythm section. Ferguson wrote three tunes for the session, including the funky "Hubbard's Cupboard" and "Two Moods for Freddie" (which shifts gears from elegant and nocturnal to finger-popping contemporary electric jazz in the course of a couple of minutes); this pair opens and closes the album. The cover of Joe Zawinul's "Birdland" is reverent but swinging, and Hubbard's lone composition here, "Bridgitte," is a beautiful ballad that showcases the strings and Dan Ferguson's sweetly singing electric guitar and opens up into a midtempo groover. The title track is a cover of Christopher Cross' smash; it and Kenny Loggins' saccharine "This Is It" are less successful even if they are somewhat colorful -- there is only so much one can do to dress up mediocre pop songs. This isn't a great success like Hubbard's CTI albums were, but Ride Like the Wind nonetheless showcases the trumpeter in fine solo form. ~ Thom Jurek
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 62,538
- UPC: 090431659526
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)
$8.84 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. / Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus Indian Giver / Quick Joey Small (45) ~ $1 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3