David 'Fathead' Newman Fire! Live At The Village Vanguard
|You Save:||$6.48 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by David 'Fathead' Newman ~ Cityscape ~ $15.28
- by David 'Fathead' Newman ~ Collectables Classics (5-CD) ~ $38.98 (Save 35%)
- by David 'Fathead' Newman ~ Fathead: Ray Charles Presents David Newman ~ $6.49 (Save 50%)
- by David 'Fathead' Newman ~ Lonely Avenue / Newmanism (2-CD) ~ $12.98 (Save 24%)
- by David 'Fathead' Newman / Dizzy Gillespie ~ Weapon / Dizzy At Home And Abroad ~ $2.98 (Save 80%)
- Released: September 12, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 81965 (1989)
Description by OLDIES.com:
In a career that has lasted six decades and counting, a few of David Newman's accomplishments include learning under Charlie Parker's mentor Buster Smith and playing with Ray Charles for over 10 years. Regardless of these credentials, Newman has made his biggest impact as a band leader and solo artist. Fire! Live At The Village Vanguard is Newman's greatest live work ever recorded. It includes a fantastic rendition of "Wide Open Spaces" that features guests Stanley Turrentine on tenor sax and Hank Crawford on alto sax. This album is a fantastic recording of Newman's straight-ahead jazz style in a live environment!
- 1.Old Devil Moon
- 3.Slippin' Down
- 4.Wide Open Spaces
- 5.Lonely Avenue
- 6.Filthy McNasty
Personnel: David Newman (tenor saxophone, flute); Hank Crawford (alto saxophone); Stanley Turrentine (tenor saxophone); Steve Nelson (vibraphone); Kirk Lightsey (piano); David Williams (bass); Marvin "Smitty" Smith (drums).
Recorded live at The Village Vanguard, New York on December 22-23, 1988. Includes liner notes by Bob Porter.
Personnel: David "Fathead" Newman (flute, tenor saxophone); David "Fathead" Newman ; Steve Nelson Quartet, Steve Nelson (vibraphone); David Williams (double bass); Hank Crawford (alto saxophone); Stanley Turrentine (tenor saxophone); Kirk Lightsey (piano); Marvin "Smitty" Smith (drums).
Liner Note Author: Bob Porter.
Recording information: The Village Vanguard, New York, NY (12/22/1988-12/23/1988).
For this excellent all-around date, David "Fathead" Newman and a fine rhythm section (pianist Kirk Lightsey, vibraphonist Steve Nelson, bassist David Williams and drummer Marvin "Smitty" Smith) are joined by tenor saxophonist Stanley Turrentine on "Wide Open Spaces" (a tune that years earlier Newman had recorded with fellow tenor James Clay), altoist Hank Crawford on "Lonely Avenue" and both Turrentine and Crawford on two other songs. In addition, Newman takes "Filthy McNasty" as a flute feature and is showcased on the opening "Old Devil Moon." An enjoyable set of soulful, straight-ahead jazz. ~ Scott Yanow
Herman FosterExplosive Piano of Herman Foster / Have You Heard? (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Buck ClaytonHow Hi The Fi (featuring Woody Herman) / Jumpin' At The... (CD)
$4.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 49,209
- UPC: 090431659427
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Jazz Instrument: Saxophone Music Categories:
Mindi Abair Come as You Are (CD) ~
$16.55 Super Savings
- Mindi Abair It Just Happens That Way (CD) ~ $17.08
- Greg Abate Bop City: Live at Birdland (CD) ~ $17.12
Cannonball Adderley / Benny Carter Live in Cologne 1961 (CD) ~
$15.67 Super Savings
- Gerald Albright New Beginnings (CD) ~ $10.78