- Released: September 26, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Artist First
Rolling Stone - p.704 stars out of 5
-- "Despite all the high-powered guests, Lewis stays in charge throughout LAST MAN STANDING....Most of his command now comes from the slamming, swinging passion of his barrelhouse piano."
Entertainment Weekly - p.80
"The Killer's first new studio CD in more than a decade finds him in strong form, his iconic voice still recognizable and ivory-tinkling fingers still nimble..."
Q - p.1463 stars out of 5
-- "Impressive at any age."
No Depression - p.97
"Nothing really has been lost on this disc in his fierce and knowing, insinuating vocals, or his pumping rhythm and attack."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1014 stars out of 5
-- "Weighing in at a hefty 21 tracks, and five years in the making, it proves beyond any doubt that the Killer can still whup his rivals after an astonishing half-century of recording."
- 1.Rock N' Roll (with Jimmy Page)
- 2.Before the Night Is Over (with B.B. King)
- 3.Pink Cadillac (with Bruce Springsteen)
- 4.Evening Gown (with Mick Jagger / Ronnie Wood)
- 5.You Don't Have to Go (with Neil Young)
- 6.Twilight (with Robbie Robertson)
- 7.Travelin' Band (with John Fogerty)
- 8.That Kind of Fool (with Keith Richards)
- 9.Sweet Little 16 (with Ringo Starr)
- 10.Just a Bummin' Around (with Merle Haggard)
- 11.Honky Tonk Woman (with Kid Rock)
- 12.What Made Milwaukee Famous (with Rod Stewart)
- 13.Don't Be Ashamed of Your Age (with George Jones)
- 14.A Couple More Years (with Willie Nelson)
- 15.Old Glory (with Toby Keith)
- 16.Trouble in Mind (with Eric Clapton)
- 17.I Saw Her Standing There (with Little Richard)
- 18.Lost Highway (with Delaney Bramlett)
- 19.Hadacohl Boogie (with Buddy Guy)
- 20.That's What Makes the Irish Heart Beat (with Don Henley)
- 21.The Pilgrim (with Kris Kristofferson)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Jerry Lee Lewis (vocals, piano); Keith Richards, B.B. King, Willie Nelson, Buddy Guy (vocals, guitar); Delaney Bramlett, Don Henley, George Jones, John Fogerty, Kid Rock, Little Richard, Merle Haggard, Mick Jagger, Neil Young, Ringo Starr, Rod Stewart, Toby Keith, Bruce Springsteen (vocals); Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jimmy Rip, Kenny Lovelace, Robbie Robertson (guitar); Ron Wood (pedal steel guitar); Ivan Neville (organ); Butch Hutchinson (bass guitar); Jim Keltner (drums).
Around the time of his 71st birthday, rock-&-roll legend Jerry Lee Lewis unveiled LAST MAN STANDING, a celebratory outing that features a stunning cast of guest musicians, ranging from B.B. King and Little Richard to Merle Haggard and Neil Young. Among the many highlights of this album are Lewis's lively collaboration with guitarist Jimmy Page on Led Zeppelin's "Rock N' Roll," a rendition that wonderfully plays up the tune's 1950s leanings, and the Killer's honky-tonk spin on Hank Williams's "Lost Highway," which points to his often-overlooked country recordings and features Delaney Bramlett's searing six-string work. Like the latter-day recordings of his old Sun labelmate Johnny Cash, this Lewis collection points to a remarkable legacy, while also displaying his still-formidable talents, resulting in a musical testament to aging impressively well.