Gil Evans Svengali
|CYBER SALE:||$3.18 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$9.79 (75% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 1643 (1973)
Description by OLDIES.com:
A CD reissue of Gil Evan's 1973 Atlantic album, "Svengali." "This is one of Gil Evans's finest recordings of the 1970s." (Scott Yanow, All Music Guide)
JazzTimes - 6/99, p.111"...SVENGALI has a good deal of music on the leading edge....Unlike the evil manipulator of fiction, Evans was a benevolent genius who did not need hypnosis to induce his subjects to make beautiful music....some of the most unusual writing of his last two decades."
- 2.Blues In Orbit
- 4.Cry Of Hunger
- 6.Zee Zee
Recorded at Trinity Church and Philharmonic Hall, New York, New York in 1973.
Personnel: Gil Evans (piano, electric piano); Ted Dunbar (guitar); Trevor Koehler (flute, soprano saxophone, baritone saxophone); Billy Harper (flute, tenor saxophone); David Sanborn (alto saxophone); Howard Johnson (baritone saxophone, flugelhorn, tuba); Marvin "Hannibal" Peterson , Richard Williams, Tex Allen (trumpet); Sharon Freeman, Peter Levin (French horn); Joseph Daley (trombone, tuba); David Horowitz (synthesizer); Herb Bushler (bass guitar); Bruce Ditmas (drums); Susan Evans (percussion).
Arranger: Gil Evans.
Rescued from obscurity and the collectors' shops, the once-rare 1973 SVENGALI (Gil Evans' name scrambled) is back in print. Gil Evans emerged toward the end of the big band era as a composer and arranger, and collaborated with Miles Davis for several albums in the early 1960s (QUIET NIGHTS, SKETCHES OF SPAIN). Like Miles, Evans did not stand still musically and borrowed from jazz's outer limits as well as the progressive/experimental rock and electronic music of the late '60s/early '70s.
The results sometimes sound like Frank Zappa (circa 1968-71) jamming with the Duke Ellington Orchestra on Mars in the year 2010: swinging, yet daring, electric, searing and probing. The Evans band featured players who would go on to be leaders in their own right: David Sanborn, Billy Harper (who contributes two tunes) and Hannibal Marvin Peterson. This is an important album in the history of both big band jazz and fusion.
Tower of Song: An Epic Story of Canada and Its Music (DVD)
$5.98 CYBER SALE
Prestige Profiles (Plus Bonus CD, Volume 1) (2-CD)
$10.56 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 8,578
- UPC: 090431654729
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- The Ohio Express Golden Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Marshmallow Overcoat All You Need Is Fuzz (CD) ~ $1.58 CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Top of the Charts (CD) ~ $4.78 CYBER SALE
- Roy Acuff Greatest Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- The Band The Best of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down: Recorded Live In Concert (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- !!! Louden Up Now (2-LP) ~ $15.95 CYBER SALE
- !!! Must Be The Moon (3vrs) (Import) (12") ~ $6 CYBER SALE
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $7.49 CYBER SALE
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3 CYBER SALE
- 10 Years Feeding the Wolves (CD) ~ $4.48 CYBER SALE