Richard "Groove" Holmes Book of The Blues, Volume 1
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$5.52 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.45 (57% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Arranged and Conducted by Onzy Matthews.
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Warner Bros 1553 (1964)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Distinctive organist Richard "Groove" Holmes carved out a musical niche of his own playing with jazz greats including Ben Webster, Gene Ammons, Houston Person and Jimmy Smith. This 1964 Warner Bros. album captures his spirited sound and features both mellow ballads and exuberant up-tempo numbers.
- 1.See See Rider
- 2.Organ Grinder
- 3.I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water
- 4.Mean Old Frisco Blues
- 5.I'm Gonna Move To The Outskirts Of Town
- 6.Your Red Wagon
- 7.How Long, How Long Blues
- 8.In The Dark
- 9.Roll 'Em Pete
Personnel: Richard "Groove" Holmes (organ); Richard "Groove" Holmes (Hammond b-3 organ).
Liner Note Author: Johnny Mangus.
Director: Nick Venet.
Arranger: Onzy Matthews.
This 1964 date pairs organist Richard "Groove" Holmes with an uncredited studio big band for a set of funky steamers. Onzy Matthews arranged and conducted the band that overdoes it in extremis, making it all sound overly dramatic and cheesy. Holmes, however, was in fine form here and his performance is flawless. Readings of "See See Rider," "Your Old Wagon," and "Roll 'Em Pete," would have been stellar if the accompaniment had been fitting. This disc is for Holmes completists only. ~ Thom Jurek
Eddie HarrisCool Sax Warm Heart / Cool Sax From Hollywood To Broadway (CD)
$6.37 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 51,925
- UPC: 090431654422
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- The "5" Royales The Very Best of The "5" Royales (CD) ~ $11.03 LABOR DAY
- "America Worships" Series White As Snow (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- "Nature Wonders" Series Nature Wonders 2 (3-CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- ? and The Mysterians Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD) ~ $9.38 LABOR DAY
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. The Best of 1910 Fruitgum Company (CD-R) ~ $11.98 on SALE
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $22.49 LABOR DAY
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 101 Strings Orchestra A Portrait Of 'The Lady' (LP) ~ $7.49 LABOR DAY
- 10DB I Second that Emotion / I Second that Emotion (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 2 Black 2 Strong MMG Burn Baby Burn (LP) ~ $4.99 LABOR DAY