Hank Crawford More Soul
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$5.52 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.45 (57% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Hank Crawford ~ Only The Best of Hank Crawford (8-CD) ~ $67.98
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 1356 (1960)
Description by OLDIES.com:
A reissue of Hank Crawford's rare 1960 Atlantic release. On it he's backed by David "Fathead" Newman on tenor sax, Leroy "Hog" Cooper on baritone sax, Phillip Guilbeau on trumpet, John Hunt on trumpet and fluegel horn, Edgar Willis on bass and Milt Turner on drums.
- 1.Boo's Tune
- 2.Angel Eyes
- 3.Four Five Six
- 4.The Story
- 5.Dat Dere
- 7.Sister Sadie
Originally released on Atlantic.
Personnel: Hank Crawford (saxophone, alto saxophone, piano); Hank Crawford; Philip Guilbeau, Phil Guilbeau (trumpet); Edgar Willis (bass instrument); David "Fathead" Newman (saxophone, tenor saxophone); Leroy Cooper (baritone saxophone); John Hunt (trumpet, flugelhorn); Milt Turner (drums).
Liner Note Author: Gary Kramer.
Arrangers: Hank Crawford; Ray Charles.
More Soul is Hank Crawford's first album as a leader, issued in 1960 after he left the Ray Charles band. Leading a septet on a debut is am ambitious feat, but in Crawford's case, it is also an impressive one. The material is sweet, signing and deftly played by an ensemble that includes David "Fathead" Newman on tenor, Leroy "Hog" Cooper on baritone, and a brass section that features John Hunt and Philip Guilbeau. Edgar Willis plays bass and drummer Milt Turner rounds out the proceedings. The material is swinging, front-ended, soul-inflected hard bop with tunes arranged by Crawford -- the lone exception being James Moody's "The Story" (one of two selections by him here) charted by Charles. The union of blues, soul and swing as evidenced by the group's read of the nugget "Angel Eyes," or Bobby Timmons' and Oscar Brown's "Dat Dere," or Crawford's own "Four Five Six" established a signature for the saxophonist, one that he has kept at the forefront of his sound for over 40 years. Crawford's tone as a soloist is sweet yet edgy and raw, full of emotion and warmth. If the material is basic, it nonetheless is timeless and More Soul sounds as true and blue in the 21st century as it did when it was released.. ~ Thom Jurek
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 50,015
- UPC: 090431654026
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $22.49 LABOR DAY
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 101 Strings Orchestra A Portrait Of 'The Lady' (LP) ~ $7.49 LABOR DAY
- 10DB I Second that Emotion / I Second that Emotion (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 2 Black 2 Strong MMG Burn Baby Burn (LP) ~ $4.99 LABOR DAY
Jazz Instrument: Alto Sax Music Categories:
- Cannonball Adderley African Waltz (CD) ~ $10.56 LABOR DAY
- Cannonball Adderley The Best of The Capitol Years (CD) ~ $12.05
- Cannonball Adderley Cannonball Adderley Quintet in Chicago (Live) (CD) ~ $12.59
- Cannonball Adderley Cannonball Adderley Quintet in San Francisco [Remastered Bonus Tracks] (Live) (CD) ~ $9.88
- Cannonball Adderley Cannonball Takes Charge [Expanded] (CD) ~ $12.35 LABOR DAY