- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 17 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: May 20, 2003
- Originally Released: 1934
- Label: Homevision
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- Interviews: Archival Interview with Robert Flaherty - Director
- Bonus Footage: Excerpt from "Flaherty and Film"
- MAKING OF MAN OF ARAN
- HIDDEN AND SEEKING
- Stills/Photos: Behind the Scenes Galleries
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 06/07/1991
"...Robert Flaherty's celebrated documentary is a romantic treatment of grueling day-to-day life..."
Film Comment - 07/01/2003
"...Everything swirls madly in this lushly scored docu-poem, toss'd about in the mists and milky white maelstroms of the terrifying sea..."
Sight and Sound - 12/01/2006
"Not so much a conventional documentary as a poetic meditation....Flaherty captures awe-inspiring footage..."
Total Film - 05/01/2011
4 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he elemental imagery still looks thunderously impressive..."
This ethnographic film is an anthropological study of the Aran Islands and its native inhabitants.
On the west coast of Ireland, the indigenous people battle mother nature simply to secure a modest living for themselves and their families. Renowned documentarian Robert J. Flaherty records the daily activities of one fisherman in his purposeful yet dangerous confrontation with the elements.
- Named Best Picture of the Year by the National Board of Review.