Yusef Lateef Blue Yusef Lateef
|You Save:||$2.99 (23% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 1508 (1968)
Description by OLDIES.com:
On this classic 1968 Atlantic release, Yusef Lateef is backed by Sonny Red (alto sax), Blue Mitchell (trumpet), Buddy Lucas (harmonica), Kenny Burrell (guitar), Hugh Lawson (piano), Cecil McBee (bass), Bob Crenshaw (electric bass) and Roy Brooks (drums).
- 1.Juba Juba
- 2.Like It Is
- 4.Moon Cup
- 5.Back Home
- 6.Get Over, Get Off And Get On
- 7.Six Miles Next Door
- 8.Sun Dog
Personnel includes: Yusef Lateef (vocals, tenor saxophone, flute, shannie, tamboura, koto, scratcher); William Fischer (conductor); Sonny Red (alto saxophone); Blue Mitchell (trumpet); Buddy Lucas (harmonica); Hugh Lawson (piano); Kenny Burrell (guitar); Cecil McBee (acousctic bass); Bob Cranshaw (electric bass); Roy Brooks (drums); The Sweet Inspirations (background vocals).
Recorded at Atlantic Studios, New York, New York on April 23 & 24, 1968. Originally released on Atlantic (1508). Includes liner notes by Joel Dorn, John Kruth, and Yusef Lateef.
Digitally remastered by Gene Paul (DB Plus Digital Services, New York, New York).
Personnel: Yusef Lateef (vocals, koto, tambura, flute, bamboo flute, shanai, tenor saxophone); Kenny Burrell (guitar); Buddy Lucas (harmonica); Sonny Red (alto saxophone); Blue Mitchell (trumpet); Hugh Lawson (piano); Cecil McBee (double bass); Bob Cranshaw (bass guitar); Roy Brooks (drums); The Sweet Inspirations.
Yusef Lateef came out of the bebop tradition (having played in 1949 with the great trumpeter, Dizzy Gillespie). However, by the late 1960's, Lateef had become one of the most eclectic jazz experimenters. Employing odd instruments such as the oboe and the argol (an obscure double reed instrument) into his sound, he gradually moved away from the staid traditions of bebop and its more groovy stepchild, hard bop. This said, on THE BLUE YUSEF LATEEF, we hear the tenor man alighting in a variety of musical styles. His concept with this album was to pay homage to America's great ethnic diversity. The opening track, "Juba, Juba" was inspired by a Mississippi prison song. "Moon Cup" reflects medieval plainchant and other selections such as "Othelia," "Six Miles Next Door," and "Sun Dog" are constructed around twelve-bar blues forms. Joined by such notables as Blue Mitchell on trumpet and Kenny Burrell on guitar, Lateef and crew bring to life the many unique and disparate sounds that make up America's rich musical legacy.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 16,139
- UPC: 090431653920
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $4
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $4
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE