|You Save:||$2.99 (23% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Joe Bonamassa ~ Beacon Theatre: Live From New York (2-CD) ~ $17.42
- by Eddie Harris ~ The Electrifying Eddie Harris / Plug Me In ~ $13.25
- by Les McCann / Eddie Harris ~ Swiss Movement (180GV) ~ $28.79
- by Les McCann / Eddie Harris ~ Swiss Movement: Montreux 30th Anniversary Edition (Live) ~ $17.08
Products with a similar style:
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 1583 (1971)
Description by OLDIES.com:
On this classic 1971 Atlantic release, Eddie Harris & Les McCann are backed by Cornell Dupree (guitar), James Rowser (bass), Donald Dean (drums), Buck Clarke (percussion), Bernard Purdie (percussion) and others.
- 1.Shorty Rides Again
- 2.Universal Prisoner
- 3.Carry On Brother
- 4.Set Us Free
Personnel: Eddie Harris (tenor & electric saxophones); Les McCann (vocals, Fender Rhodes piano); Cornell Dupree (electric guitar); James Rowser (acoustic bass); Jerry Jemmott (electric bass); Bernard Purdie (drums, tambourine); Donald Dean (drums); Buck Clark (African drums, percussion); Cissy Houston, Judy Clay, Deidre Tuck, Rennelle Stafford (background vocals).
Producer: Arif Mardin.
Reissue producer: Joel Dorn.
Recorded at Atlantic Recording Studios, New York, New York on January 25, 1971. Originally released on Atlantic (1583). Includes liner notes by Joel Dorn.
Digitally remastered by Gene Paul (DB Plus Digital Services, New York, New York).
Personnel: Eddie Harris (saxophone); Les McCann (piano); Cissy Houston (vocals).
In the late 1960s and early '70s, many diehard jazz fans turned their noses up at soul-jazz experiments, as formerly straight-ahead jazz musicians began fusing bop with funk and R&B. In hindsight, however, it is clear that these musicians were ahead of the curve with their adventurous, accessible fusions. As on their hugely popular first collaboration, SWISS MOVEMENT, tenor man Eddie Harris and keyboardist/vocalist Les McCann generate some truly irresistible grooves on SECOND MOVEMENT, blurring the line between jazz, R&B, funk, and pop.
It's hard to argue with the simmering instrumental "Shorty Rides Again," for example. Harris's percolating sax riffs keep the tune soaring over a punchy guitar/bass/drums rhythm that would make the JB's proud. McCann's takes a turn on vocals with the lush, ballad-like "Universal Prisoner" and the head-nodding "Carry On Brother," both of which deal with pressing social issues of racial and economic inequality. The record's final two tracks, "Set Us Free" and "Samia," mine smooth, fusion-flavored pulses, with notable playing by Harris on each. Overlooked soul-jazz outings such as this are the subject of album-collecting dreams.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 21,176
- UPC: 090431653821
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. / Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus Indian Giver / Quick Joey Small (45) ~ $1 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3