Shirley Scott & The Soul Saxes (King Curtis, Hank Crawford & David Newman)
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$9.99 (77% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 1532 (1969)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Often regarding by critics as one of Scott's best albums, "Shirley Scott & The Soul Saxes" features her backed by the trio of King Curtis, Hank Crawford and David Newman on saxophone, and a rhythm section that includes Eric Gale (guitar), Richard Tee (piano), Chuck Rainey (bass) and Bernard Purdie (drums), among others.
- 1.It's Your Thing
- 2.(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
- 3.I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free
- 5.Stand By Me
- 6.Get Back
- 7.More Today Than Yesterday
Personnel: Shirley Scott (organ); Eric Gale (guitar); Chuck Rainey (electric guitar, electric bass); David "Fathead" Newman , King Curtis (flute, tenor saxophone); Hank Crawford (alto saxophone, baritone saxophone, brass); Ernie Royal (trumpet); Richard Tee (piano); Jerry Jemmott (electric bass); Jimmy Johnson , Jimmy Johnson, Jr. , Bernard "Pretty" Purdie (drums).
Audio Remixer: William Arlt.
Liner Note Author: Joel Dorn.
Recording information: New York, NY (09/10/1968-07/10/1969).
Arranger: Marty Sheller.
The idea of a soul-jazz album full of well-worn chestnuts like the Isley Brothers' "It's Your Thing," Ben E. King's "Stand By Me," and Goffin/King/Wexler's "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" might seem a bit pedestrian at first. But once Hammond B-3 maestro Shirley Scott sets her instrument swirling with the deeply groovy assistance of her lockstep R&B backing band, the results are nearly irresistible. It doesn't hurt that Scott's band includes saxophonists King Curtis (tenor sax), Hank Crawford (alto and baritone), and David Newman (on tenor and flute), who provide fat, brash punctuation and some fine solos throughout.
A crack rhythm section lays down the foundation for some funky, passionate playing, as on the group's reading of "You" and a fun, rave-up take on the Beatles' "Get Back." Scott's playing is at the center, however, and her gospel-inflected melodies and bebop-inspired runs imbue every track with equal doses of grit and grace. Wholly accessible, yet overflowing with technical chops, SHIRLEY SCOTT & THE SOUL SAXES will fit the bill for those who get a kick out of deep-down soul-jazz.
Barney KesselBreakfast At Tiffany's / Bossa Nova / Contemporary Latin... (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Art FarmerInteraction (Featuring Jim Hall) / Sing Me Softly of The... (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Live at Minton's Playhouse - Complete Recordings (CD)(3)
$10.56 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 219
- UPC: 090431653128
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- Lee Andrews & The Hearts Gotham Recording Sessions (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Arrested Development Best of Arrested Development (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Bananarama Pop Life (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Count Basie Ain't It The Truth (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Count Basie Basie's Boogie (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The "5" Royales The Very Best of The "5" Royales (CD) ~ $12.98 on SALE
- "Nature Wonders" Series Nature Wonders 2 (3-CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- #1 Soul Hits of the 1980's #1 Soul Hits of The 1980's (CD) ~ $10.27 on SALE
- ? and The Mysterians Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD) ~ $11.03 on SALE
- 101 Strings Orchestra God Bless America (CD) ~ $7.18 on SALE