High Blues Pressure
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$6.48 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 1501 (1967)
Description by OLDIES.com:
A reissue of Freddie Hubbard's long out-of-print 1967 Atlantic album, "High Blood Pressure." Freddie Hubbard's distinctive playing is witnessed on "I Can't Let Her Go," "True Colors" and "Latina."
- 1.I Can't Let Her Go
- 3.High Blues Pressure
- 4.A Bientot
- 5.True Colors
- 6.For B.P.
Personnel: Freddie Hubbard (trumpet, flugelhorn); James Spaulding (flute, alto saxophone); Bennie Maupin (flute, tenor saxophone); Kiane Zawadi (trombone, euphonium); Howard Johnson (tuba); Kenny Barron, Weldon Irvine (piano); Herbie Lewis (double bass); Freddie Waits, Louis Hayes (drums); Roman "Dog" Broadus (congas).
Freddie Hubbard may be the quintessential hard bop/modern jazz trumpet player. HIGH BLUES PRESSURE was recorded in 1967 for Atlantic Records, but style-wise it might well be a Blue Note session--and a very fine one at that. Hubbard's tone is big, brash, fiery and blues-inflected. The wailing solos by Bennie Maupin and the under-rated James Spaulding match the intensity of the fire that Hubbard generates.
The program consists of very melodic, earthy hard-bop originals, with touches of "Sidewinder"-like funk (Weldon Irvine's "Can't Let Her Go") and just-south-of-the-border pop-Latin music ("Latina"). The title song is so catchy with its easy, loping groove one wonders why it wasn't a hit single. Unlike some jazz albums from this period, PRESSURE features great ensemble playing to go with the excellent solos--no tiresome "theme/solos/theme" or "me soloist, you back-up" stuff. This disc comes highly recommended to Acid jazz fans, die-hard Blue Note bop buffs, acoustic jazz newcomers and Hubbard fans alike.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 13,514
- UPC: 090431652428
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records Product Series:
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I Don't Worry About A Thing / Mose Alive! (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin' (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- Mose Allison Swingin' Machine (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
Jazz Instrument: Trumpet Music Categories:
- Greg Adams Midnight Morning (CD) ~ $12.05
- Nat Adderley Hummin' (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Henry Red Allen
Swing Out [Fabulous] (CD)
$3.87 Super Savings
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Louis Armstrong (CD)
$4.31 Super Savings
- Louis Armstrong An Evening with Louis Armstrong at Pasadena Civic Auditorium, Volume 2 (Live) (CD) ~ $12.58 on SALE