Clifford Jordan These Are My Roots: Clifford Jordan Plays Leadbelly
|You Save:||$11.98 (92% Off)|
Special Pricing: One per customer, per order.
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Duke Pearson / The Duke Pearson Big Band ~ Baltimore 1969 (Live) ~ $21.08
- by Miles Davis ~ Miles At The Fillmore, 1970: The Bootleg Series Volume 3 (4-CD) ~ $42.51
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 1444 (1965)
Description by OLDIES.com:
A reissue of Clifford Jordan's 1965 tribute album to the late folk singer Leadbelly. On this album, he is backed by Roy Burrowes on trumpet, Julian Preister on trombone, Chuck Wayne on banjo, Cedar Walton on piano, Richard Davis on bass and Al Heath on drums. "Take This Hammer" and "Black Girl" feature Sandra Douglas on vocals.
- 1.Dick's Holler
- 2.Silver City Bound
- 3.Take This Hammer (Vocal By Sandra Douglas)
- 4.Black Betty
- 5.The Highest Mountain
- 6.Goodnight Irene
- 7.De Gray Goose
- 8.Black Girl (Vocal By Sandra Douglas)
- 9.Jolly O The Ransom
- 10.Yellow Gal
Personnel: Clifford Jordan (tenor saxophone); Sandra Douglass (vocals); Roy Burrowes (trumpet); Julian Priester (trombone); Cedar Walton (piano); Chuck Wayne (guitar, banjo); Richard Davis (bass); Al Heath (drums).
Producer: Nesuhi Ertegun.
Reissue producers: Donald Elfman, Naomi Yoshii.
Recorded on February 1 & 17, 1965 in New York, New York. Originally released on Atlantic (1444). Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff.
All tracks have been digitally remastered using HDCD technology by Gene Paul (DB Plus, New York, New York).
Personnel: Clifford Jordan (tenor saxophone); Sandra Douglass (vocals).
At first glance, this appears to be a very illogical album. Back in 1965, tenor saxophonist Clifford Jordan recorded a tribute to the late folksinger Leadbelly. The date, originally cut for Atlantic and reissued by Koch in 1999, is actually more successful than one might expect. Jordan performs nine of Leadbelly's originals (including the hit "Goodnight Irene"), turning the music into jazz without lessening the impact of the melodies or their folk roots. Trumpeter Roy Burrowes, trombonist Julian Priester, bassist Richard Davis, and drummer Albert "Tootie" Heath are on most of the selections along with Jordan, while Chuck Wayne (on guitar and banjo) helps out on four tunes, and pianist Cedar Walton is on three. The fine young singer Sandra Douglass is excellent on "Take This Hammer" and "Black Girl." Overall, this project is an unexpected success -- one would not have thought that Clifford Jordan and Leadbelly had that much in common! ~ Scott Yanow
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 215
- UPC: 090431652220
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- Barbara Acklin Best of Barbara Acklin (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Nat Adderley Hummin' (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Air Supply The Earth Is... (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Alisha Bounce Back (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Allures "Acappella" Starlight Sessions, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Armenian Philharmonic Rock Orchestra / The Beatles I Love You (Heart-Shaped CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Jo Armstead Stone Good Lover - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Arrogants "Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- At Peace With Nature The Mystical Mammal (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- At Peace With Nature Soothing Summer Breeze (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE