From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$5.52 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.45 (57% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Chris Connor ~ Collectables Classics (4-CD) ~ $33.13
- by Chris Connor ~ I Walk With Music ~ $15.28
- by Various Artists ~ Richard Rodgers' No Strings: An After Theatre Version ~ $2.98 (Save 77%)
- by Conte Candoli / Lou Levy ~ West Coast Wailors / Sings Ballads of The Sad Café ~ $9.33
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 8061 (1961)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Without exception, no other singer of non-ethnic material but Chris Connor has the fire and imagination to create a mood of pathos with such intensity. According to prominent composer Gunther Schuller, "Chris, at her best, is one of the most unique (and under-rated) singers, and I am especially fascinated...by the emotional intensity with which she delivers a song." On this long out-of-print Atlantic album, Ms. Connor is backed by an all-star band including Oliver Nelson, Phil Woods, Joe Newman, Clark Terry and George Duvivier.
- 1.Jump For Joy
- 2.Night Bird
- 4.Opportunity, Please Knock
- 5.Day Dream
- 6.Things Are Swingin'
- 7.Kansas City
- 8.Lonely Woman
- 9.I'm Gonna Go Fishin'
- 10.God Bless The Child
- 11.Free Spirits
Originally released on Atlantic (8061).
Personnel: Chris Connor (vocals); Chris Connor ; Irwin "Marky" Markowitz, Joe Newman Quartet , Irvin Markowitz (trumpet); George Duvivier, Ben Tucker (double bass); Phil Woods (clarinet, alto saxophone); Oliver Nelson (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Sol Schlinger (bass clarinet, baritone saxophone); Clark Terry (trumpet, flugelhorn); Joe Newman (trumpet); Ronnie Ball (piano); Dave Bailey , Ed Shaughnessy (drums).
Liner Note Author: Ran Blake.
Recording information: 12/11/1961-04/30/1962.
Arranger: Al Cohn.
Chris Connor's smoky voice made her a natural fit for torch songs, but her flair for improvisation expanded her considerable talents to include upbeat material as well. Free Spirits, an excellent small-group date arranged for her by Al Cohn, features Connor in a range of settings; remember, free spirits don't necessarily mean high spirits. The choices for material also range far and wide. A trio of Ellington evergreens anchor the set, but she also includes material from Peggy Lee, Oscar Brown, Jr., Leiber & Stoller's "Kansas City," and Billie Holiday's nearly untouchable "God Bless the Child." It helps that she gets expressive accompaniment from an all-star lineup -- alto Phil Woods, tenor Oliver Nelson, and a pair of all-time trumpeters (Clark Terry and Joe Newman). Despite the title, the only concept at work here is her ability to captivate a listening audience with a wide-ranging set. ~ John Bush
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 16,698
- UPC: 090431652121
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $22.49 LABOR DAY
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 101 Strings Orchestra A Portrait Of 'The Lady' (LP) ~ $7.49 LABOR DAY
- 10DB I Second that Emotion / I Second that Emotion (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 2 Black 2 Strong MMG Burn Baby Burn (LP) ~ $4.99 LABOR DAY
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records Product Series:
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $9.33 LABOR DAY
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I Don't Worry About A Thing / Mose Alive! (CD) ~ $9.33 LABOR DAY
- Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin' (CD) ~ $7.17 LABOR DAY
- Mose Allison Swingin' Machine (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY