- Rated: R
- Run Time: 2 hours, 12 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 8, 2009
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Feature-length commentary by director William Friedkin
- 2 theatrical trailers
- 4 TV spots
- 2 radio spots
- Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 09/22/2000
"...THE EXORCIST retains the power to turn heads--and stomachs....A new shocker has been included: the infamous "spider walk," in which Blair's Regan descends the stairs like a crazed crab, bent over backward, mouth gushing blood..."
Entertainment Weekly - 09/29/2000
"...THE EXORCIST remains the ultimate exploitation-nightmare vision of the onslaught of adolescence....[It speaks] to a larger, if unconscious, collective fear..." -- Rating: A-
Chicago Sun-Times - 09/22/2000
"...THE EXORCIST was and is a brilliant horror film, one with an archetypal ability to reach and disturb us. It will survive as long as people care about well-made movies..."
Cult Film |
- Theatrical Release: September 22, 2000
- Ellen Burstyn suffered permanent injury to her spine during shooting of the scene in which she is knocked across the room.
- Friedkin punched Father William O'Malley during shooting of Father Karras's death scene to elicit a better performance.
- This new release includes 12 minutes of additional footage, including the infamous "spider-walk" scene, in which the possessed Regan walks backward on all fours down a staircase; it also includes scenes that provide additional psychological background on Regan, more subliminal, shadowy shots of the demon, and an alternate ending with a lighter tone than the original release.