Doris Day Love Him! / Show Time
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
sku: COL 6490
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
These two rare Columbia LPs are available for the first time on CD - among the 24 unforgettable tracks are "I Fell For You", "I Got The Sun In The Morning", and "They Say It's Wonderful".
- 1.More (Theme From The Film "Mondo Cane")
- 2.Can't Help Falling In Love
- 3.Since I Fell For You
- 4.Losing You
- 5.(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
- 6.As Long As He Needs Me
- 7.Night Life
- 9.Softly, As I Leave You
- 10.Lollipops And Roses
- 11.Love Him
- 12.Show Time–Part One
- 13.I Got The Sun In The Morning (From "Annie Get Your Gun")
- 14.Ohio (From "Wonderful Town")
- 15.I Love Paris (From "Can-Can")
- 16.When I'm Not Near The Boy I Love (From "Finigan's Rainbow")
- 17.People Will Say We're In Love (From "Oklahoma!")
- 18.I've Grown Accustomed To His Face (From "My Fair Lady")
- 19.The Surrey With The Fringe On Top (From "Oklahoma!")
- 20.They Say It's Wonderful (From "Annie Get Your Gun")
- 21.A Wonderful Guy (From "South Pacific")
- 22.On The Street Where You Live (From "My Fair Lady")
- 23.The Sound Of Music (From "The Sound Of Music")
2 LPs on 1 CD: LOVE HIM (1963)/SHOW TIME (1960).
Personnel includes: Doris Day (vocals); Tommy Oliver (arranger, conductor).
Producer: Terry Melcher.
Recorded in 1963.
Personnel includes: Doris Day (vocals); Axel Stordahl (conductor).
Recorded in 1960. Includes liner notes by Mark Marymont.
While Collectables Records often has been able to pair complementary albums in its series of discount-priced two-fer reissues of Doris Day's catalog, there are also stray LPs that don't sound like any of their siblings and so can only be teamed in mismatched combinations. Such a set of non-identical twins is found on this CD containing Love Him! and Show Time. Love Him!, which arrived after a lengthy break in Day's recording career in the winter of 1963-1964, found her working under the aegis of her 21-year-old son, Columbia Records producer Terry Melcher, who attempted to update and broaden his mother's musical approach, having her cut recent songs associated with Elvis Presley plus selections from the country and R&B charts. Much of this material was really beyond her, but she threw herself into it, and as bizarre as the lengthy spoken introduction to the Willie Nelson co-composed Ray Price country hit "Night Life" may be, she really acts her way through it, as if such a wholesome type as her could really be miscast as a shady bar crawler. She isn't right for these songs, but it's impressive that she tries so enthusiastically to be. There could be no greater contrast with Show Time, a 1960 album of Broadway standards that opens and closes with a cheesy theme written by one Joe Lubin. The songs are terrific, all Rodgers & Hammerstein, Lerner & Loewe, and Irving Berlin evergreens, but Day gives them a minimum of feeling. If she's really in love with "A Wonderful Guy," you'd never know it from her performance, and that's typical of the restraint she shows on songs that should have been vehicles for some emotion from her. As such, this two-fer is a distinctly mixed bag. ~ William Ruhlmann
Rosemary ClooneyDate With The King (with Benny Goodman) / On Stage /... (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Doris DayOn Moonlight Bay / By The Light of The Silvery Moon (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE