Doris Day Day By Day / Day By Night
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
By Day and By Night, nobody could sing like Doris Day. Over seventy-eight minutes of Doris singing some of the all-time favorites, including "The Gypsy In My Soul", "Stars Fell On Alabama", and "Moonglow".
- 1.The Song Is You
- 2.Hello, My Lover, Goodbye
- 3.But Not For Me
- 4.I Remember You
- 5.I Hadn't Anyone Till You
- 6.But Beautiful
- 7.Autumn Leaves
- 8.Don't Take Your Love From Me
- 9.There Will Never Be Another You
- 10.Gone With The Wind
- 11.The Gypsy In My Soul
- 12.Day By Day
- 13.I See Your Face Before Me
- 14.Close Your Eyes
- 15.The Night We Called It A Day
- 16.Dream A Little Dream Of Me
- 17.Under A Blanket Of Blue
- 18.You Do Something To Me
- 19.Stars Fell On Alabama
- 20.Moon Song
- 21.Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams (And Dream Your Troubles Away)
- 22.Soft As The Starlight
- 24.The Lamp Is Low
2 LPs on 1 CD: DAY BY DAY (1956)/DAY BY NIGHT (1957).
Personnel includes: Doris Day (vocals); Paul Weston (arranger, conductor).
Includes liner notes by Mark Marymount. Originally released on Columbia (942) & Columbia (8089).
Personnel: Doris Day (vocals); Barney Kessel (guitar); Frank Emilio Flynn (vibraphone).
Liner Note Authors: Stephen Munns; Mark Marymont.
Recording information: 1957-1959.
When Doris Day freed herself from those cotton candy films she appeared in, where her singing for the most part was limited to cute novelty tunes, she showed that she could successfully sink her vocal teeth into some solid standard material. The LPs compiled on this CD come from the late '50s, when she was recording for Columbia with backing from an orchestra headed by Paul Weston. The songs fall into two categories. The first are those where Weston employed a large, sugary string section. The far more interesting tracks are those where the strings were held out and Day was backed by a dance band group with some jazz personages present. "Hello My Lover, Goodbye" and "I Hadn't Anyone Till You" feature Barney Kessel on guitar and consummate studio musician Ted Nash's alto sax. There is an unidentified muted trumpet on an excellent interpretation of "But Not for Me." It could well be Don Fagerquist, who worked with Weston on several occasions. Day will never be confused with a jazz singer. But given the way she could put over a song with her impeccable timing and phrasing, whether she made it into the jazz singer society was basically immaterial. She was a top-of-the-line traditional popular singer who could wrench a feeling of intimacy from a romantic ballad. Moreover, her swinging credentials were solid as she bounces along on such cuts as "I Hadn't Anyone Till You," "Don't Take Your Love From Me," and "Close Your Eyes." The Collectable collection is Doris Day at her best and that means outstanding vocalizing by one of the more popular singers of the 1950s and 1960s, whose work has stood the test of time. ~ Dave Nathan
Doris Day TCM Spotlight Collection (It's A Great Feeling /... (DVD)
$12.98 on SALE
Sold OutSave for Later
Doris Day - TCM Greatest Classic Legends Film Collection:... (DVD)
$9.81 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 21 ratings.
Based on 21 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 16,305
- UPC: 090431648926
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. / Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus Indian Giver / Quick Joey Small (45) ~ $1 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE