Labour of Love: The Music of Nick Lowe
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Various Artists ~ Lowe Country: The Songs of Nick Lowe ~ $12.87
- by Nick Lowe ~ Quality Street: A Seasonal Selection for the Whole Family ~ $14.72
- by Linda Thompson ~ Won't Be Long Now ~ $14.72
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: September 25, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Telarc
Q - 12/01, p.1483 stars out of 5 - "...A loving tribute...with old muckers Graham Parker and Elvis Costello leading the charge..."
No Depression - 9-10/01, p.148"...Lowe never shied away from blurring boundaries or bouncing around the musical landscape. Thus, it seems fitting that the album's contributors were recruited from a variety of musical worlds..."
- 1.All Men Are Liars - Dar Williams / Doug Wainoris / G.E. Smith / Steve Holley
- 2.Rose of England, The - Graham Parker / Pete Donnelly / Steve Goulding
- 3.Cracking Up - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
- 4.Half a Boy and Half a Man - G.E. Smith / Sleepy LaBeef / Steve Holley / C.J. Chenier
- 5.Where's My Everything? - Bo Ramsey / Greg Brown
- 6.Television - G.E. Smith / Marshall Crenshaw / Steve Holley
- 7.Shting-Shtang - G.E. Smith / Joe Clay / Steve Holley / Cranston Clements
- 8.When I Write the Book - Doug Wainoris / G.E. Smith / Andrea Re / Steve Holley
- 9.Cruel to Be Kind - Christine Ohlman / G.E. Smith / Marshall Crenshaw / Steve Holley
- 10.Faithless Lover - G.E. Smith / Steve Holley / Charlie Musselwhite
- 11.Soulful Wind - Guy Davis / Levon Helm
- 12.(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding? - G.E. Smith / Joe Louis Walker / Steve Holley
- 13.Egypt - Elvis Costello
Includes liner notes by Bill Bentley.
Personnel: Guy Davis (vocals, guitar, harmonica); Elvis Costello (vocals, guitar, percussion); Graham Parker, Greg Brown, Joe Louis Walker, Marshall Crenshaw, Sleepy LaBeef, Tom Petty (vocals, guitar); Charlie Musselwhite (vocals, harmonica); Christine Ohlman, Dar Williams, Joe Clay, Andrea Re (vocals); Bo Ramsey (guitar, background vocals); Doug Wainoris, G.E. Smith, Cranston Clements (guitar); Tom T-Bone Walk (mandolin, accordion, Wurlitzer organ); Levon Helm (mandolin); Steve Goulding , Steve Holley (drums).
Audio Mixer: Lincoln Clapp.
Liner Note Author: Bill Bentley.
Arranger: G.E. Smith.
Though his songs have been covered by others over the years (everyone from pal Elvis Costello to US soul-popster Curtis Stigers), pop poet Nick Lowe is generally thought of more as a recording artist than as a source of material for others. As this tribute album proves, however, Lowe's blend of soul, pop, rock, and country is infinitely adaptable to the approaches of other artists. After a shaky, whose-idea-was-this beginning courtesy of folkie Dar Williams, things quickly heat up as Lowe's pub-rock peer Graham Parker offers a folkie take on "The Rose of England," spiced up by T-Bone Wolk's accordion and the presence of original Rumour drummer Steve Goulding.
Tom Petty makes the bluesy "Cracking Up" his own, and first-generation rockabilly man Sleepy LaBeef lends his earth-shaking baritone voice to the Tex-Mex jumper "Half a Boy and Half a Man." Midwestern singer-songwriter Greg Brown's version of "Where's My Everything" manages to deftly capture both the desperation and self-deprecating humor inherent in the song. Marshall Crenshaw offers a heartfelt "Cruel to be Kind," from Lowe's brief, legendary tenure with Rockpile. Bluesman manque Guy Davis evinces the same lack of soul on "Soulful Wind" that mars his usual attempts at the blues, but things close nicely with the aforementioned cohort Costello's effectively understated version of the melodic ballad "Egypt."
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$16.98 LABOR DAY
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 Super Savings
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE