Merry Go Round
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
|You Save:||$13 (68% Off)|
Unavailable: Sold Out
sku: TEL 00634935
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: April 17, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Telarc
Entertainment Weekly - 5/12/00, p.79"Blessed with much of the same warmth, timbral beauty, and grace that helped make his more imaginative older borther Nat 'King' Cole so appealing, Freddy is always easy to take [and] the band is casually excellent..." - Rating: B-
Down Beat - 8/00, p.774 stars out of 5 - "...Whatever the accompaniment, Cole extracts the maximum from each tune....asserting his stature as our greatest living jazz singer."
JazzTimes - 12/00, p.131"...Cole reworks each facet of the classic cut to its full-blown potential. Hell, some might even call his performance unforgettable."
- 1.Watching You, Watching Me
- 2.It's Impossible
- 4.I Remember You
- 5.Forgive My Heart
- 6.Through a Long and Sleepless Night
- 7.If You Went Away
- 8.Take a Little Time to Smile
- 9.I Realize Now / I Miss You So
- 10.Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
- 11.You're Sensational
Personnel: Freddy Cole (vocals, piano); Lou Marini (alto saxophone, alto flute); Eric Alexander (tenor saxophone); Gary Smulyan (baritone saxophone); Lew Soloff (trumpet); Steve Davis (trombone); Cedar Walton (piano); Jerry Byrd (guitar); George Mraz, Herman Burney (bass); Curtis Boyd (drums).
Recorded at Sear Sound Studio C, New York, New York on September 8 & 9, 1999. Includes liner notes by Will Friedwald.
MERRY-GO-ROUND was nominated for the 2001 Grammy Award for Best Jazz Vocal Album.
Singer Freddy Cole is the brother of late, legendary singer/pianist Nat "King" Cole. And while Freddy Cole's smooth approach echoes his brother's, he's no imitator. This Cole is a bit more swing- and jazz-oriented in the manner of singers Mel Torme and Tony Bennett. MERRY-GO-ROUND is the kind of album some wish brother Nat (and for that matter, Frank Sinatra) would have made more often. The singer is backed by a small, intimate group of ace jazz players (including the great mainstream pianist Cedar Walton and sweet-toned trumpeter Lew Soloff) on a fresh set of tunes.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Ike & Tina Turner Golden Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Del Vikings 1956 Audition Tapes (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Count Basie First Time! The Count Meets The Duke / Count Basie Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Count Basie Blues By Basie / Dance Parade (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE