Bobby Short Celebrating 30 Years at the Cafe Carlyle
Only 6 copies left
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Bobby Short ~ Bobby Short On The East Side / Moments Like This ~ $7.49 (Save 50%)
- by Bobby Short ~ How's Your Romance ~ $11.30
- by Bobby Short ~ At the Cafe Carlyle ~ $22.95
- by Bobby Short ~ Bobby Short Is Mad About Noel Coward ~ $6.49 (Save 50%)
- by Bobby Short ~ Songs By Bobby Short ~ $3.49 (Save 73%)
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: January 27, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Telarc
- 1.I Like The Likes Of You / I've Got My Eyes On You / From This Moment On
- 2.You've Got That Thing
- 3.The Carioca
- 4.Guess Who's in Town
- 5.Moten Swing / You're Driving Me Crazy
- 6.How's Your Romance
- 7.At Long Last Love
- 8.I Can't Get Started
- 9.Hooray For Love
- 10.Body and Soul
- 11.Just One of Those Things
- 12.Romance in the Dark
- 13.On the Street of Dreams
- 14.Picture Me Without You
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Bobby Short (vocals, piano); Jay Brandford (alto saxophone, clarinet); Loren Schoenberg (tenor saxophone, clarinet); Scott Robinson (baritone saxophone, bass clarinet); John Eckert, Virgil Jones, Daryl Shaw (trumpet); Eddie Bert, Bobby Pring (trombone); Frank Tate (bass); Klaus Suonsaari (drums).
Recorded at Clinton Recording Studios, New York, New York on August 18-20, 1997. Includes liner notes by Jean Bach.
Personnel: Bobby Short (vocals, piano); Jay Brandford (clarinet, alto saxophone); Loren Schoenberg (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Scott Robinson (bass clarinet, baritone saxophone); Daryl Shaw, John Eckert, Virgil Jones (trumpet); Eddie Bert, Bobby Pring (trombone); Frank Tate (upright bass); Klaus Suonsaari (drums).
Recording information: Clinton Recording Studios, Studio A, New York, NY.
Director: Anilda Carrasquillo.
Editor: Erica Brenner.
Photographer: Jacques Lowe.
Arrangers: Bobby Short; Loren Schoenberg.
From its title, one might reasonably suppose that Celebrating 30 Years at the Cafe Carlyle is either a live album or a compilation; it is neither. Instead, it finds 72-year-old singer/pianist Bobby Short, who began appearing at the Cafe Carlyle in Manhattan's Carlyle Hotel in 1968 and has continued ever since, fronting a sort of small big band (three reeds, five brass, plus the rhythm section of himself, bassist Frank Tate, and drummer Klaus Suonsaari) in a recording studio in August 1997. Maybe it's the track list, along with the anniversary, that justifies the title: Short has recorded most of these songs before, some of them dating back to his earliest LPs of the mid-1950s. Of course, as compositions, they date back even further than that; Short is a master at turning old Tin Pan Alley songs and show tunes of the 1920s, '30s, and '40s into nightclub material. Usually, he plays those songs with only the rhythm section, so the addition of the band makes these performances special. But, as Cafe Carlyle patrons over the years have noted, Short's always husky voice has deteriorated, and considerable gravel is audible in his singing here, which tends to make the earlier recordings of these songs superior. (Short has never been, and has never billed himself as, a jazz musician. But Telarc released this album on its jazz imprint, and the instrumental medley of "Moten Swing" and "You're Driving Me Crazy" features some improvisation. And, of course, by the 1990s, traditional-pop singers were routinely reaching Billboard's traditional jazz chart, as Short did with this album.) ~ William Ruhlmann
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE