The Boswell Sisters Brunswick, Volume 2
|You Save:||$5.24 (35% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
sku: COL 6462
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
The amazing harmonies of The Boswell Sisters became a major influence on later artists such as The Andrews Sisters and The McGuire Sisters. This collection contains some of the sisters' early material from the 1930s, predominantly on the Brunswick labels. Accompanied by the Dorsey Brothers on all of these classic tracks, The Boswells' memorable gems in this collection include "Down On The Delta", "Mood Indigo", and "Shuffle Off To Buffalo".
- 1.Hand Me Down My Walking Cane
- 2.Old Yazoo
- 3.We Just Couldn't Say Goodbye
- 4.Sleep, Come On And Take Me
- 5.Down Among The Sheltering Palms
- 6.Down On The Delta
- 7.Charlie Two-Step
- 8.The Sentimental Gentleman From Georgia
- 9.It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
- 10.Louisiana Hayride
- 11.Minnie The Moocher's Wedding Day
- 12.Crazy People
- 13.Mood Indigo
- 14.Forty-Second Street
- 15.Shuffle Off To Buffalo
Personnel includes: Connie, Martha & Helvetia Boswell (vocals); Tommy Dorsey (trombone); Jimmy Dorsey (clarinet); Artie Bernstein (bass).
Recorded in 1932 & 1933. Originally released on Columbia (P3-16493).
Includes liner notes by Mark Marymont.
All tracks are digitally remastered.
The second Boswell Sisters anthology of Brunswick sides, covering the years 1932-1933, may not seem as substantial as its predecessor, but that's an illusion that's quickly dispelled in the listening. The collection starts off with their Dorsey Brothers-accompanied rendition of "Hand Me Down My Walking Cane," in which the trio's vocal acrobatics spar delightfully with Bunny Berigan's trumpet. It's a promising beginning to a delightful collection that's not only great listening but excellent dance music -- this reviewer's foot was tapping to "Sleep, Come on and Take Me," and "Down Among the Sheltering Palms" is an astounding multi-part, almost conceptual number. Alternating between collaborations with the Dorseys and the leaner support of Dick McDonough's guitar and Artie Bernstein's string bass (sometimes joined by Martha Boswell's piano), with Berigan, McDonough, Manny Klein, and the Dorseys stepping out in front instrumentally in tandem with the trio's vocals, the sounds vary more than sufficiently to make this a well-nigh perfect 15-song collection, without any problem of repetition, and the sound is superb. The annotation covers the trio in general terms, focusing too little on the music at hand, but that's a minor flaw in a collection as delightful as this. ~ Bruce Eder
Jerry Murad's HarmonicatsGreatest Hits / Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
The Village StompersWashington Square / More Sounds of Washington Square - A... (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE