The Boswell Sisters Brunswick, Volume 1
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Connee Boswell ~ They Can't Take These Songs Away from Me (2-CD) $14.53
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
The Boswell Sisters - Connie, Martha and "Vet" - developed their close harmonies, jazzy phrasing and scat-style singing in their hometown of New Orleans. The Sisters scored more then fifty pop hits and are cited by Ella Fitzgerald and Artie Shaw among others as major influences. Among the highlights of this wonderfully harmonic collection are "Roll On, Mississippi, Roll On", "Nothing Is Sweeter Than You", and "There'll Be Some Changes Made".
- 1.Roll On, Mississippi, Roli On
- 2.Shout, Sister Shout
- 3.It's The Girl
- 4.It's You (Eres Tu)
- 5.Nothing Is Sweeter Than You Charles
- 6.I Thank You, Mr. Moon
- 7.Was That The Human Thing To Do?
- 8.(We've Got To) Put That Sun Back In The Sky
- 9.Stop The Sun, Stop The Moon (My Man's Gone)
- 10.Everybody Loves My Baby (But My Baby Don't Love Nobody But Me)
- 11.There'll Be Some Changes Made
- 12.Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea
- 13.If It Ain't Love
- 14.Got The South In My Soul
- 15.Doggone, I've Done It (I've Fallen In Love)
The Boswell Sisters: Martha Boswell (vocals, piano, celeste); Connie & Helvetia Boswell (vocals).
Additional personnel includes: Jimmy Dorsey (alto saxophone, clarinet); Bunny Berigan (trumpet); Tommy Dorsey (trombone); Joe Venuti (violin); Eddie Lang (guitar); Stan King (drums).
Recorded in New York, New York in 1931 & 1932. Originally released as Columbia Special Products (P3 16493). Includes liner notes by Mark Marymont.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
The Boswell Sisters formed in New Orleans in the mid-1920s and had disbanded by the mid-'30s. During their career they were backed on record by such as Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey, Joe Venuti, Eddie Lang, and Bunny Berigan. Theirs was a deceptively genteel-sounding take on the hot jazz stylings of the period, their harmonies sweet on first listen, but full of mad yet focused swing, appealingly sassy tartness and amazing vocal gymnastics.
Their songs were not merely springboards for improvising. "Shout, Sister, Shout" reflects the influence of Southern gospel, and "There'll Be Some Changes Made" is wistful yet rollicking. These songs--"It's the Girl," "I Thank You, Mr. Moon"--are very much of the period, but the Boswells' genius allows them to transcend it. Without the Boswell Sisters, there'd be no Andrews Sisters (a poppier, white-bread version of the Boswells), no Shangri-La's and no Manhattan Transfer. Plus you get to hear some lightning-fast, sizzling-hot solos from jazz violin legend Joe Venuti and big-band stars-to-be Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey. This release is essential for jazz and pop group-vocal fans.
Benny GoodmanArrangements By Eddie Sauter / Arrangements By Fletcher... (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 19,063
- UPC: 090431646120
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $4
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $4
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE