Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique & Love Scene from "Romeo Et Juliette"
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: August 28, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Telarc
- 1.I. Dreams, Passions / Largo - Allegro Agitato E Appassionato Assai - Tempo I - Religiosamente
- 2.Ii. A Ball, Valse: Allegro Non Troppo
- 3.Iii. Scene In The Country: Adagio
- 4.Iv. March To The Scaffold: Allegretto Non Troppo
- 5.V. Dream of The Witches' Sabbath: Larghetto / Allegro / Allegro Assai / Allegro / Dies Irae / Ronde Du Sabbat / Dies Irae Et Ronde Du Sabbat
- 6.Love Scene
The Cincinnati Symphony has always been respected as a solid, second-tier orchestra. But with this disc, as in other recent recordings, it seems like a world-class orchestra that can eat showpieces like Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique for breakfast. The strings are luminous throughout, especially in the Love Scene from Roméo et Juliette, where their golden glow makes Paavo Järvi's graceful interpretation something special. If his Symphonie Fantastique doesn't oust such longtime favorites as the Munch, Paray, and Bernstein recordings, it still stands as one of the best recent versions. It's also blessed with outstanding sonics, which gives depth and transparency to the orchestration. Järvi's reading is not as fervid as those listed above, but in its classicism and concern for long lines, it reminds one of Colin Davis's excellent Philips versions of the score. Pleasurable instrumental details, like the golden shower of harp runs, abound, and there's no lack of energy in the wild close to the Witches' Sabbath movement. This first recording of the Cincinnatians with their new music director is a fine achievement that promises much for the future. --Dan Davis
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Mozart: The Beneficient Dervish / The Impresario (CD)(4)
$5.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE