- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 30 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: November 7, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Shout Factory
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- "James Lipton: Flashbacks"
- "Great Moments that Didn't Make the Cut - Previously Unseen Portions of the Original Chapelle Interview"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Since 1994, James Lipton has invited Hollywood's top actors, directors, musicians, and comedians to his Bravo television series INSIDE THE ACTORS STUDIO for intelligent, thought-provoking interviews that delve into the creative process rather than guests' gossipy personal lives. This volume presents Lipton's 2006 conversation with comedian Dave Chappelle about the reasons behind the comic's surprising departure from his wildly popular Comedy Central series and his subsequent, life-changing trip to Africa.
Just when it seemed that stand-up comics had crossed every race, religious, and sexual taboo, along came Dave Chappelle. His brief but brilliant series, CHAPPELLE'S SHOW, made a permanent impression in the history of sketch comedy, and even the smallest reference to a number of its routines can trigger uncontrollable laughter. The intimate setting of INSIDE THE ACTORS STUDIO might seem like an awkward forum for the fearless comedian, but his conversation with Lipton reveals some of the serious issues brought up by Chappelle's brand of humor as well as the controversies surrounding his personal life. Of course, it's also another opportunity for his brilliant comic timing and unmatched wit to shine through.