- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 58 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 11, 2004
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Shout Factory
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Stereo - English
- Additional Release Material:
- 'Mini-docs' featuring Dennis Hopper, Richard Dreyfuss, Ellen Burstyn, Cybill Shepherd, Peter Bogdanovich, Paul Schrader, John Milius, Peter Bart, and more
- Fifteen Segments of Deleted and Extended Footage
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 05/21/2004
"[T]he 1970s really did represent Hollywood's last golden age....Rich with anecdotes..."
USA Today - 05/14/2004
"[T]his BBC production covers Hollywood's greatest wave."
Inspired by comments from moviemaking luminaries such as Martin Scorsese and Paul Schrader, former Premiere Magazine editor Peter Biskind set about chronicling the work of 1970s filmmakers in his 1999 book EASY RIDERS, RAGING BULLS. After the critical and commercial success of the exhaustive tome, it seemed only natural to transfer his fascinating tales to the screen, and the Trio channel duly obliged in 2003. With a Hollywood system offering unprecedented freedom to writers and directors, some highly individual and influential works from future main players such as Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, George Lucas, and Steven Spielberg were produced. A golden era for American film had begun.
Naturally there was a downside to the inexorable rise of such talented artists, and EASY RIDERS RAGING BULLS doesn't shirk from highlighting the scandals and tragedies that often beset the industry. Drug use, relationship problems, soaring egos and a growing sense of competition between the formerly tight-knit community saw the decade come to an unfortunate end. The sting in the tail came with the production of "blockbuster" movies such as JAWS, and demands from studios for more of the same. With dollar signs in their eyes, Hollywood producers closed ranks on the movie makers, restricted their talents, and ultimately made them unwitting victims of their own successes. Amongst those relaying stories on an incredibly creative period for the industry are Peter Bogdanovich, Dennis Hopper, Paul Schrader, Cybill Shepherd, Richard Dreyfuss, and many others. Narration comes from William H. Macy.
Film About Film |
Film Directors |
Film History |
- Source writer Peter Biskind is the former executive editor of Premiere Magazine and former editor in chief of American Film.
- Biskind has publicly stated that relationships between himself and some of the people mentioned in his book has soured since its publication, although he declines to name name's.
- Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda worked for legendary B-Movie director Roger Corman to finance production of EASY RIDER. Instead of getting paid in cash, the boys took payment in the form of movie equipment and film stock.
- Archival footage in EASY RIDERS RAGING BULLS includes a fascinating moment where a young George Lucas is introduced to camera as Francis Ford Coppola's assistant.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 30,881
- UPC: 826663406290
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items