Gladys Knight & The Pips Very Best of Gladys Knight & The Pips - The Early Years
13 copies available
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Various Artists ~ The Golden Age of American Popular Music: The Jazz Hits From the Hot 100 1958-1966 ~ $12.35
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Could it be that Gladys Knight, along with her brother and cousins, had her first hit nearly '40 years ago? Gladys wasn't quite 17 when "Every Beat of My Heart" became both a Pop and R&B top ten hit back in 1961. Included in this 'pip' of a collection are 28 of the Pips earliest recording, including a rehearsal tape that's their earliest known recorded performance.
- 1.Letter Full Of Tears
- 2.You Broke Your Promise
- 3.Every Beat Of My Heart
- 4.Bless The One
- 5.Guess Who?
- 7.I'll Trust In You
- 8.Come See About Me
- 10.I Can't Stand By
- 11.Love Me Again
- 12.Morning, Noon, And Night
- 13.I Want That Kind Of Love
- 14.Room In Your Heart
- 15.Walking In Circles
- 17.Love Call
- 18.One More Lonely Night
- 19.What Shall I Do?
- 20.A Love Like Mine
- 21.Jungle Love
- 22.It Hurts So Bad
- 24.How Do You Say Goodbye
- 25.Stop Running Around
- 26.What Will Become Of Me?
- 27.Queen Of Tears
- 28.Waiting For My Phone To Ring (Bonus Track)
Gladys Knight & The Pips includes: Gladys Knight (vocals); Bubba Knight, William Guest.
Includes liner notes by Bill Dahl.
Liner Note Author: Bill Dahl.
The meaning in the title of this compilation is simply this: The Very Best of the Early Years means "before Motown." Gladys Knight cut a number of singles and albums for Vee Jay before signing with Berry Gordy. This does not mean by any stretch of the imagination that the tunes here -- twenty-eight of them on a single disc -- aren't invaluable as early modern soul, far from it. It's simply that the title is misleading for the uninitiated listener who would do well to pick up one of the countless Motown collections that bears her name instead. For the serious Knight collector these are excellent sides, including regional hits such as her reading of Don Covay's "Letter of Tears" and "Come See About Me," and her first smash -- a cover of Johnny Otis' "Every Beat of My Heart." In addition to these tunes there are a number of classics written by William Guest that include "Walking Around in Circles," the stomping "Room in Your Heart," and her own early attempt at writing "Jungle Love," with Guest on vocals. "Queen of Tears" is the first track on this set to reveal what would become Knight's trademark sound for Motown. ~ Thom Jurek
The Brothers Of SoulI Guess That Don't Make Me A Loser - A Golden Classics Ed. (CD)
$8.43 on SALE
Luther IngramIf Loving You Is Wrong, I Don't Want To Be Right - A Golden... (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)(5)
$6.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 40,320
- UPC: 090431644720
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE