When The Clouds Roll By (Silent)
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- The Big Parade (Blu-ray) ~ $24.21
- Douglas Fairbanks Silent Rarities: (When The Clouds Roll By / The Americano / Wild And Wooly)... ~ $10.50 (Save 56%)
- Svengali ~ $5.95 (Save 25%)
- The Three Faces of Eve ~ $10.80
- When The Clouds Roll By - 11" x 17" Poster ~ $9.98 (Save 33%)
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 8 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: September 28, 2010
- Originally Released: 1919
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Douglas Fairbanks, Ralph Lewis, Herbert Grimwood & Kathleen Clifford|
|Directed by||Victor Fleming|
|Music by||Don Kinnier|
Description by OLDIES.com:
A lost gem, When The Clouds Roll By features dazzling surreal dream sequences and special effects, including a well-executed "walking on the ceiling and walls" episode which predates Fred Astaire's reprise of the stunt in 1951's Royal Wedding by decades. The spectacular flood finale utilizes fantastic miniatures to great effect, providing a stupendous climax unrivaled in its day.
From his humble start in the silent era as an assistant cameraman, Victor Fleming debuted as a director with 1919's When The Clouds Roll By. He went on to direct numerous towering Hollywood classics, his most spectacular year 1939, when he helmed both The Wizard Of Oz and Gone With The Wind. Other notable productions include Treasure Island (1934), Captains Courageous (1937), Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde (1941) and Joan Of Arc (1948).
- WHEN THE CLOUDS ROLL BY was one of Douglas Fairbanks's first comedies for United Artists, the company he founded with Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford, and D.W. Griffith. It was also the feature-film debut for director Victor Fleming (GONE WITH THE WIND, THE WIZARD OF OZ).
- Psychoanalysis was a fresh import to the U.S. when Fairbanks decided to lampoon the emerging field. For many audience members, WHEN THE CLOUDS ROLL BY would serve as their foremost introduction to Freud's brainchild.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
First time a movie character walked on the ceiling. First time psychoanalysis became a topic for a movie plot. And the first time Fairbanks got to show off his athletic talents. This movie is amazing. If you've never seen a silent movie, make this your first! Since I like to listen to my own music while watching silent movies, I can recommend the following for this one: Metallica's "Master of Puppets"; Breaking Benjamin's "Phobia"; Tools "Anima."
- Sales Rank: 15,541
- UPC: 089218643391
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE