Riverside/Folklore Series Volume 2: Singing The American Roots - Blues, Wails, Ballads and Songs by the Great Traditional Performers
by Various Artists
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
|You Save:||$9 (60% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
sku: FAN 9910
- by Bob Gibson ~ Joy Joy! The Young and Wonderful Bob Gibson ~ $17.08
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: December 3, 1996
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Riverside
- 1.Black Snake - John Lee Hooker
- 2.Baby, Please Don't Go - John Lee Hooker
- 3.Pea Vine Special - John Lee Hooker
- 4.Fox Chase, The - Sonny Terry
- 5.Red River - Sonny Terry
- 6.John Henry - Sonny Terry
- 7.Baby-O - Jean Ritchie
- 8.Cuckoo, The - Jean Ritchie
- 9.Awake, Awake, You Drowsy Sleeper - Jean Ritchie
- 10.Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah - Jean Ritchie
- 11.Shady Grove - Jean Ritchie
- 12.Pretty Polly - Obray Ramsey
- 13.Ole Reuben - George Pegram
- 14.Poor Jesse James - George Pegram
- 15.Poor Little Ellen - Obray Ramsey
- 16.As I Walked Out One Fair May Morn - Peggy Seeger
- 17.I Married Me a Wife - Peggy Seeger
- 18.Chickens They Are Crowing, The - Peggy Seeger
- 19.Boston Burglar, The - Harry & Jeanie West
- 20.Finger Ring - Harry & Jeanie West
- 21.Oh Lord, Search My Heart - Reverend Gary Davis
- 22.Samson and Delilah - Reverend Gary Davis
- 23.Twelve Gates to the City - Reverend Gary Davis
Full title: Singing The American Roots: Blues, Wails, Ballads And Songs By The Great Traditional Performers: The Riverside/Folklore Series, Vol. 2.
Recorded between 1953 and 1959.
This is part of the Riverside/Folklore series.
Personnel: Peggy Seeger (vocals, guitar, banjo); Jeanie West, Rev. Gary Davis (vocals, guitar); John Lee Hooker (vocals, acoustic guitar); George Pegram, Obray Ramsey (vocals, banjo); Jean Ritchie, Bascom Lamar Lunsford (vocals); Erik Darling (guitar, banjo); Alec Stewart (guitar); Harry West (banjo); Walter Parham, Sonny Terry (harmonica).
Audio Remasterer: Kirk Felton.
Liner Note Author: Samuel Charters.
Recording information: Asheville, NC (12/??/1953-04/20/1959); Detroit, MI (12/??/1953-04/20/1959); Hicksville, NY (12/??/1953-04/20/1959); New York, NY (12/??/1953-04/20/1959); Topic Recording Studio, London, England (12/??/1953-04/20/1959).
Editor: Kenneth S. Goldstein.
Photographers: Jim Marshall ; David Gahr.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Jean Ritchie; Bill Belmont.
An excellent collection that ranges from Delta blues to Appalachian folk, covering an impressive amount of ground. Featured artists include John Lee Hooker, Sonny Terry, Jean Ritchie and Peggy Seeger. The upgraded sound is excellent, cleaned up nicely without negative effects on the music. The Riverside catalog contains some true gems, and it's nice to see a few of those emerging here. ~ Steven McDonald
Bread & RosesFestival of Acoustic Music - Greek Theater, U.C. Berkeley (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 5-6 / Chain... (CD)(4)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE