- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: November 15, 1995
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Prestige
Living Blues - 3-4/96, pp.76-78
"...The legacy of Bluesville Records--one of the first blues logos to concentrate on albums, rather than the singles market--is only beginning to be fully appreciated. [This] anthology should help to spread the good word."
- 1.One Room Country Shack - Mercy Dee Walton
- 2.My Little Angel - Mercy Dee Walton
- 3.After the Fight - Mercy Dee Walton
- 4.Five Card Hand - Mercy Dee Walton
- 5.Mother Earth - Memphis Slim
- 6.Vicksburg Blues - Little Brother Montgomery
- 7.Pleading Blues - Little Brother Montgomery
- 8.No Special Rider Blues - Little Brother Montgomery
- 9.Something Keeps Worrying Me - Little Brother Montgomery
- 10.Sittin' and Cryin' the Blues - Memphis Slim / Willie Dixon
- 11.Number Nine - Roosevelt Sykes
- 12.Set the Meat Outdoors - Roosevelt Sykes
- 13.Miss Ida B. - Roosevelt Sykes
- 14.She Ain't for Nobody - Roosevelt Sykes
- 15.Lonesome Bedroom Blues - Curtis Jones
- 16.Weekend Blues - Curtis Jones
- 17.Please Say Yes - Curtis Jones
- 18.Low Down Worried Blues - Curtis Jones
- 19.Tired of You Clowning - Sunnyland Slim
- 20.Harlem Can't Be Heaven - Sunnyland Slim
Recorded between 1959 and 1961.
Personnel: Curtis Jones, Little Brother Montgomery, Memphis Slim, Mercy Dee Walton, Roosevelt Sykes (vocals, piano); Willie Dixon (vocals); Floyd Ball, Frank Ingalls, Johnny "Big Moose" Walker, Lafayette Thomas, Wally Richardson (guitar); Sidney Maiden (harmonica); Clarence Perry, Jr., Al Ashby, King Curtis (tenor saxophone); Robert Banks (organ); Armand Jump Jackson, Gus Johnson , Otis Cherry, Belton Evans (drums).
Liner Note Author: Samuel Charters.
Recording information: Sierra Sound Labs, Berkeley, CA (12/03/1959-04/16/1961); Sue Studios, New York, NY (12/03/1959-04/16/1961); Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (12/03/1959-04/16/1961).
Photographer: Ann Charters .
Unknown Contributor Role: Samuel Charters.
In the Key of Blues features an all-piano fest with boogies and blues from Mercy Dee Walton, Little Brother Montgomery, Curtis Jones and still more from Sykes and Memphis Slim. ~ Cub Koda