The Bluesville Years, Volume 3: Beale Street Get-Down
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: November 15, 1995
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Prestige
Living Blues - 3-4/96, pp.76-78"...The legacy of Bluesville Records--one of the first blues logos to concentrate on albums, rather than the singles market--is only beginning to be fully appreciated. [This] anthology should help to spread the good word."
- 1.John Henry - Furry Lewis
- 2.When My Baby Left Me - Furry Lewis
- 3.Shake 'Em on Down - Furry Lewis
- 4.Back on My Feet Again - Furry Lewis
- 5.Goin' to Kansas City - Furry Lewis
- 6.Casey Jones - Furry Lewis
- 7.I Will Turn Your Money Green - Furry Lewis
- 8.Brownsville Blues - Memphis Willie B.
- 9.Country Girl Blues - Memphis Willie B.
- 10.Stuff Is Here, The - Memphis Willie B.
- 11.Every Day I Have the Blues - Memphis Willie B.
- 12.I Have Found Somebody New - Memphis Willie B.
- 13.Dying Mother Blues - Memphis Willie B.
- 14.Mailman Blues - Memphis Willie B.
- 15.Steady Rolling Blues - Memphis Slim
- 16.Mean Mistreatin' Mama - Memphis Slim
- 17.Three-in-One Boogie - Memphis Slim
- 18.Letter Home - Memphis Slim
- 19.Two of a Kind - Memphis Slim
Recorded in 1961.
Personnel: Memphis Willie B. (vocals, guitar, harmonica); Furry Lewis (vocals, guitar); Memphis Slim (vocals, piano, organ).
Liner Note Author: Samuel Charters.
Recording information: Cue Studios, New York, NY (02/1961-08/1961); Sun Studios, Memphis (02/1961-08/1961).
Photographer: Ann Charters .
This third volume in Prestige's Bluesville series brings together sides that were recorded in Memphis and New York City and produced by Sam Charters, and that originally appeared on six different vinyl albums. The set of Furry Lewis tracks and the session with Memphis Willie B. were both recorded at the Sun studios in Memphis, while the Memphis Slim cuts emanate from a New York session. All three sets were recorded in 1961. Lewis is in top-notch form, as is Borum, both accompanying themselves on guitar. Slim's tracks are solo as well, as he moves between piano and organ on a batch of originals and a nice take on Leroy Carr's "Mean Mistreatin' Mama." This series distills a lot of so-so albums down to their very best tracks. A terrific bargain. ~ Cub Koda
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE