Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: March 27, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Milestone
Down Beat - 1/02, p.503.5 stars out of 5 - "...Slow, haunting tales...all done with consummate heart..."
JazzTimes - 12/01, p.150"...Shaw is a real jazz-vocal contender..."
- 1.Comes Love
- 2.I Never Went Away
- 4.Dearly Beloved
- 5.How Little We Know
- 6.A Little Piece of Heaven
- 7.I Wished on the Moon
- 8.Be Sure I'll Let You Know
- 9.If You Could See Me Now
- 10.Tomorrow Never Came
- 11.I Keep Going Back to Joe's
- 12.Happy With the Blues
- 13.Rainbow Sleeves
Personnel: Ian Shaw (vocals, piano); Eric Alexander, Bob Kindred (tenor saxophone); Lew Soloff (trumpet); Papo Vazquez (trombone); Steve Rubie (flute); Cedar Walton, James Pearson (piano); Joe Beck (guitar); Chip Jackson (bass); Mark Fletcher (drums).
Recorded at The Studio, New York, New York in September 2000. Includes liner notes by Joel E. Siegel.
Personnel: Ian Shaw (vocals, piano); Joe Beck (guitar); Steve Rubie (flute); Eric Alexander (tenor saxophone); Lew Soloff (trumpet); Papo Vazquez (trombone); James Pearson, Cedar Walton (piano); Mark Fletcher (drums).
Audio Mixers: Katherine Miller; Michael Semanick.
Liner Note Author: Joel E. Siegel.
Recording information: The Studio, New York, NY (09/2000).
Photographer: John Abbott .
Arrangers: Simon Wallace; Ian Shaw; James Pearson; Geoff Gascoyne.
Welshman Ian Shaw's voice has been called "buttery" in the jazz press, but a more apt culinary comparison might be ice cream -- his singing style is smooth, cool, and creamy, equally laid-back and assured at any tempo, always investing the appropriate emotion in the song but never sounding like he's under stress. On his second album for the venerable Milestone label (his first was a duo effort with pianist Cedar Walton), he swings and trots through brilliant up-tempo renditions of standards like "Comes Love" and "Dearly Beloved" and delivers a wonderful version of "A Little Piece of Heaven" with just bass and drum accompaniment. He's no less compelling on ballads -- his performances of "I Wished on the Moon" and "Be Sure I'll Let You Know" (the latter co-written by Shaw and Walton) are sensitive but self-assured. And the two surprise inclusions are both unqualified successes: a straightforward rendition of the Janis Ian composition "Ruby" and a slow, aching arrangement of Tom Waits' "Rainbow Sleeves." Excellent. ~ Rick Anderson
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Mozart: The Beneficient Dervish / The Impresario (CD)(4)
$5.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 44,957
- UPC: 025218931625
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
St. Louis Blues: Traditional Dixieland Classics (CD)
$15.39 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE