Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|CYBER SALE:||$4.19 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$10.79 (72% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Ron Holloway ~ Groove Update ~ $4.19
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: June 30, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Milestone
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Ron Holloway (tenor & baritone saxophones); Seema "Simone" Sugandh (vocals); Chris Battistone (trumpet); Mac Gollehon (trumpet, flugelhorn); John Bell (wooden flute, sitar); Kenny Barron, Larry Willis (piano); Dr. Lonnie Smith (Hammond B-3 organ); John Scofield, Marlon Graves, Paul Bollenback, Ray Tilkens (guitar); David Williams (bass); La'Nar Brantley, Gary Grainger (electric bass); Victor Lewis, Scott Peaker (drums); Steve Berrios (drums, percussion); Broto Roy (tablas).
Producers: Todd Barkan (tracks 1-8); Ron Holloway (track 9).
Engineers: Mike Krowiak (tracks 1-8); Ray Tilkens (track 9).
Recorded at Hit Factory, New York and Ambient Recording, Beltsville, Maryland from February to April 1995. Includes liner notes by Jon W. Poses.
Although Ron Holloway's second album contains fewer original compositions than his debut (only one, the wiry, Indian-influenced funk "Cobra," as opposed to three), it's actually a more original and compelling album. Released in 1994, Slanted often sounded like a tribute album to Holloway's idols and influences, but the following year's Struttin' is much more relaxed and expansive; Holloway's own style, a wide-ranging mix of gutbucket funk and bop cool, is much more in evidence on this selection of standards and newer compositions. The opening "Amazon River" sets the tone with its mellow, percussion-led groove, over which Holloway trades choruses with pianist Kenny Barron. Barron is the album's MVP, also featured to excellent effect on the duet "Where Are You" and the Harold Arlen standard "Come Rain or Come Shine." The album ranges from the Latin crackle of an Afro-Cuban-influenced take on Gene Ammons' "Jungle Strut" (featuring a wicked organ solo by Lonnie Liston Smith) to a simply gorgeous pair of ballads, Tadd Dameron's "Soultrane" and George Gershwin's "How Long Has This Been Going On," but Holloway's full-bodied tone and playful improvisational sense anchor them all. Far better than the tentative Slanted, Struttin' is Ron Holloway's breakthrough album. ~ Stewart Mason
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 55,712
- UPC: 025218923828
- Shipping Weight: 0.20/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale Product Series:
- Cannonball Adderley / Bill Evans Know What I Mean? (CD) ~ $4.19 CYBER SALE
- Tim Armacost Fire (CD) ~ $4.19 CYBER SALE
- Cybotron Cyber Ghetto (CD) ~ $4.19 CYBER SALE
- Cybotron Empathy (CD) ~ $4.19 CYBER SALE
- The B-Side Players Fire in the Youth (CD) ~ $4.19 CYBER SALE
Jazz Instrument: Saxophone Music Categories:
- Mindi Abair Come as You Are (CD) ~ $16.55 CYBER SALE
- Mindi Abair It Just Happens That Way (CD) ~ $17.99 CYBER SALE
- Greg Abate Bop City: Live at Birdland (CD) ~ $10.40 CYBER SALE
- Cannonball Adderley / Benny Carter Live in Cologne 1961 (CD) ~ $22.49 CYBER SALE
- Gerald Albright New Beginnings (CD) ~ $9.88 CYBER SALE