Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
LOW STOCK: Only 1 copy left
|CYBER SALE:||$4.19 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.79 (65% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: March 23, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: OJC
- 1.Love Is Here to Stay
- 2.I Hadn't Anyone Till You
- 3.My Heart Belongs to Daddy
- 4.That Old Feeling
- 5.This Love of Mine
- 6.The Man I Love
- 7.Why Don't You Do Right?
- 8.How Deep Is the Ocean?
- 9.Easy to Love
- 10.Besame Mucho
- 11.My Silent Love
- 12.This Can't Be Love
Personnel includes: Helyne Stewart (vocals); Art Pepper (alto saxophone); Teddy Edwards (tenor saxophone); Frank Rosolino (trombone); Pete Jolly (piano); Jimmy Bond (bass); Frank Butler (drums); Jack Sheldon; Phineas Newborn Jr.
Recorded in Los Angeles, California in January and August 1961. Includes liner notes by Leonard Feather.
Digitally remastered by Joe Tarantino (1999, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Art Pepper (alto saxophone); Teddy Edwards (tenor saxophone); Jack Sheldon (trumpet); Frank Rosolino (trombone); Pete Jolly, Phineas Newborn, Jr. (piano); Frank Butler, Milt Turner (drums).
Recording information: Contemporary's Studio (08/21/1961/08/22/1961).
Unknown Contributor Roles: Teddy Edwards; Teddy Edwards Quartet.
In the liner notes that Leonard Feather wrote for Love Moods back in 1961, the famous jazz critic compares Helyne Stewart's voice to "cool spring water." Feather hit the nail on the head -- Stewart is soulful, but not in a rugged, tough, rock 'em, sock 'em sort of way. A smooth, polished, relaxed style of jazz singing defines Love Moods, which Lester Koenig produced at different sessions in January and August of 1961. Stewart is joined by the cream of Southern California's early-'60s jazz crop -- the participants include, among others, Teddy Edwards on tenor sax, Art Pepper on alto sax, Jack Sheldon on trumpet, Frank Rosolino on trombone, Pete Jolly on piano, and Leroy Vinnegar on bass. Some of Stewart's sidemen get a chance to solo, although it would have been nice if she had given them even more room to stretch out. But Stewart's singing is the main thing, and she shows a great deal of promise on well-known standards like "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" and "How Deep Is the Ocean." Equally memorable are her performances of Joe McCoy's "Why Don't You Do Right" (a hit for Peggy Lee in the 1940s) and the English version of "Besame Mucho." But as promising as Love Moods is, Stewart was little-known and faded into even greater obscurity after 1961. Reissued on CD in 1999, Love Moods offers a rare glimpse of the talented but underexposed jazz singer. ~ Alex Henderson
The Poll WinnersExploring the Scene (with Shelly Manne & Ray Brown) (CD)
$9.99 CYBER SALE
Cannonball AdderleyNorman Granz, Jazz At The Philharmonic: Paris, 1960 (CD)
$19.02 CYBER SALE
Sonny StittStitt's Bits: Bebop Recordings 1949-1952 [Box Set] (3-CD...
$25.50 CYBER SALE
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 21,494
- UPC: 025218702027
- Shipping Weight: 0.20/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale Product Series:
- Cannonball Adderley / Bill Evans Know What I Mean? (CD) ~ $4.19 CYBER SALE
- Tim Armacost Fire (CD) ~ $4.19 CYBER SALE
- Cybotron Cyber Ghetto (CD) ~ $4.19 CYBER SALE
- Cybotron Empathy (CD) ~ $4.19 CYBER SALE
- The B-Side Players Fire in the Youth (CD) ~ $4.19 CYBER SALE
Jazz General Music Categories:
- 3 Cohens Braid (CD) ~ $15.28 CYBER SALE
- The 6 & 7 / 8s String Band Echoes of Tom Anderson's: The New Orleans String Jazz (2-CD) ~ $26.26 CYBER SALE
- Aardvark Jazz Orchestra Impressions (CD) ~ $15.39 CYBER SALE
- Aaron Diehl The Bespoke Man's Narrative (CD) ~ $16.18 CYBER SALE
- Aaron Diehl Space Time Continuum (CD) ~ $16.18 CYBER SALE