Louis Armstrong The Big Band Sides 1930/32 (2-CD)
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$2.50 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Louis Armstrong ~ The Complete Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings [Columbia / Legacy] (4-CD Box Set) ~ $26.08
- by Louis Armstrong / Duke Ellington ~ The Great Summit: The Master Takes ~ $8.98
- by Miles Davis ~ Miles At The Fillmore, 1970: The Bootleg Series Volume 3 (4-CD) ~ $42.51
- by Louis Armstrong ~ Satch Plays Fats ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: June 9, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Jsp Records
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.My Sweet
- 2.I Can't Believe That You're in Love with Me
- 3.Indian Cradle Song
- 4.Exactly Like You
- 6.Tiger Rag
- 7.I'm a Ding Dong Daddy
- 8.I'm in the Market for You
- 9.Confessin' (That I Love You)
- 10.If I Could Be with You One Hour Tonight
- 11.Body and Soul
- 12.Memories of You
- 13.You're Lucky to Me
- 14.Sweethearts on Parade
- 15.You're Drivin' Me Crazy
- 16.The Peanut Vendor
- 17.Just a Gigolo
- 19.Walkin' My Baby Back Home
- 20.I Surrender Dear
- 21.When It's Sleepy Time Down South
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Blue Again
- 2.Little Joe
- 3.I'll Be Glad When You're Dead, You Rascal You
- 4.Them There Eyes
- 5.When Your Lover Has Gone
- 6.Lazy River
- 7.Chinatown, My Chinatown
- 8.Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams
- 9.Star Dust
- 10.You Can Depend on Me
- 11.Georgia on My Mind
- 12.The Lonesome Road
- 13.I Got Rhythm
- 14.Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
- 15.Kickin' the Gong Around
- 17.All of Me
- 18.Love, You Funny Thing
- 19.The New Tiger Rag
- 20.Keepin' out of Mischief Now
- 21.Lawd, You Made the Night Too Long
Personnel includes: Louis Armstrong (vocals, trumpet); Bobby Holmes (alto saxophone, clarinet); Willie Stark, Theodore McCord, Leon Herriford (alto saxophone); Charlie Jones, Castor McCord (tenor saxophone, clarinet); William Franz (tenor saxophone); Ed Anderson, Leon Elkins (trumpet); Lawrence Brown, Henry Hicks (trombone); Lionel Hampton (vibraphone, drums); Joe Turner, Buck Washington, Henry Prince (piano); Bill Perkins (guitar, banjo); Bernard Addison (guitar); John Lindsay, Reggie Jones (acoustic bass); Tubby Hall, Willie Lynch (drums).
Recorded between 1930 and 1932. Includes liner notes by Brian Peerless.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Louis Armstrong (vocals, trumpet); "Big" Mike McKendrick, Bill Perkins (guitar, banjo); Bernard Addison (guitar); Ceele Burke (steel guitar, banjo); George James (clarinet, soprano saxophone, alto saxophone); Lester Boone, Bobby Holmes (clarinet, alto saxophone); Charlie Jones , Albert Washington, Jr., Castor McCord (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Les Hite (alto saxophone, baritone saxophone); Harold Scott (alto saxophone, trumpet); Theodore McCord, Leon Herriford, Willie Stark, Marvin Johnson (alto saxophone); William Franz (tenor saxophone); Ed Anderson , George Orendorff, Leon Elkins, Zilner Randolph (trumpet); Lawrence D. Brown, Henry Hicks, Luther Graven, Preston Jackson (trombone); Henry Prince, Charlie Alexander , Harvey Brooks , L.Z. Cooper, Joe Turner, Buck Washington (piano); Lionel Hampton (vibraphone, drums); Willie Lynch, Tubby Hall (drums).
Liner Note Author: Brian Peerless.
Recording information: 04/05/1930-03/11/1932.
Given his looming, mythic status in American history, it's easy to take Louis Armstrong for granted. As a result, there's a danger of overlooking Armstrong's music, or focusing on his more conventional output of the 1950s and '60s. In addition to his earliest sides, recorded with the Hot Fives and Sevens ensembles (which are must-owns for any true jazz fan), Armstrong laid down some excellent big band dates in the early '30s, which rank among his most vital and spirited recordings.
THE BIG BAND SIDES 1930-32 collects those sessions on a well-assembled and annotated two-disc set. Digitally remastered sound allows Satch's bright tone and flawless technique to pierce through the speakers, highlighting the crisp arrangements and tight, swinging playing of the bands. "Dinah," "I'll Be Glad When You're Dead, You Rascal You," "Them There Eyes," and "Lazy River" are only a few of the classics on this nicely put-together package.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!