Sings Duke Ellington / At Carnegie Hall
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|CYBER SALE:||$7.78 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.19 (48% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: COLPIX SCP-425 (1962)
- Original Album #2: COLPIX SCP-455 (1963)
Description by OLDIES.com:
An exhilarating performer, Nina Simone was an accomplished singer of jazz, blues, gospel, R&B, and pop music. Simone was also a classically trained pianist. You'll hear both sparkling studio renditions of Ellington's "Satin Doll," "I Got It Bad," and more, as well as extraordinary live performances of tunes such as "The Twelfth of Never" and "If You Knew." A must-have collection of jazz albums.
- 1.Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me
- 2.I Got It Bad
- 3.Hey Buddy Bolden
- 4.Merry Mending
- 5.Something To Live For
- 6.You Better Know It
- 7.I Like The Sunrise
- 9.The Gal From Joe's
- 10.Satin Doll
- 11.It Don't Mean A Thing
- 12.Black Swan
- 13.Theme From Samson And Delilah
- 14.If You Knew
- 15.Theme From Sayonara
- 16.The Twelfth Of Never
- 17.Will I Fine My Love Today
- 18.The Other Woman / Cotton Eyed Joe
2 LPs on 1 CD: NINA SINGS DUKE ELLINGTON (1962)/NINA SIMONE AT CARNEGIE HALL (1963).
This two-for-one CD spotlights one of jazz's great song stylists. Few singers were as unique as Nina Simone; Her deep voice and rapid vibrato made her instantly recognizable. She was also a stunning pianist, and the second half of this CD--her Carnegie Hall performance--spotlights her instrumental skills as well as her singing.
Not surprisingly, NINA SINGS DUKE ELLINGTON features many classic jazz tunes. Simone sings ballads such as "I Got It Bad" and "Solitude" with intense emotional vulnerability. With the exception of Billie Holiday, few singers have such a natural gift for musical expression. NINA SIMONE AT CARNEGIE HALL is more understated and dark. Comprised of torch songs and movie themes, this album contains only ballads. This doesn't always include vocal numbers either. For example, Simone's piano is showcased extremely well on "Theme from Samson and Delilah." Simone performs this piece like a refined classical pianist, employing Chopin-esque trills and strident forearm chords. In fact, her reading of this movie theme just may be the most eyebrow-raising moment on this disc.
Nina SimoneAmazing Nina Simone / Nina Simone At Town Hall (CD)
$8.78 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 49,741
- UPC: 090431641422
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- !!! Louden Up Now (2-LP) ~ $15.95 CYBER SALE
- !!! Must Be The Moon (3vrs) (Import) (12") ~ $6 CYBER SALE
- The "5" Royales Catch That Teardrop (CD) ~ $13.17 CYBER SALE
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $7.49 CYBER SALE
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3 CYBER SALE