by Various Artists
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
|You Save:||$12 (63% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: June 24, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Prestige
- 1.Jivin' With Jack the Bellboy - Illinois Jacquet
- 2.Black Velvet - Arnett Cobb
- 3.Salt Mines, The - Buddy Tate
- 4.Serenade in Blue - Budd Johnson
- 5.Right Foot Then Left Foot - John Hardee / Russell Procope - (featuring John Hardee)
- 6.Bubbles - Wild Bill Moore
- 7.Cane River - Clifford Scott / Jimmy Witherspoon - (featuring Clifford Scott)
- 8.Where or When - Don Wilkerson
- 9.Stomp - Wilton Felder / Charles Kynard - (featuring Wilton Felder)
- 10.When You're Smiling - Jesse Powell
- 11.Jeep's Blues - King Curtis
- 12.Just Friends - Don Patterson / Booker Ervin
- 13.Wide Open Spaces - David "Fathead" Newman / James Clay
Recorded in 1946 and between 1960 and 1968.
Personnel: Jimmy Witherspoon (vocals); Billy Pyles, Joe Pass, T-Bone Walker, Wally Richardson (guitar); Russell Procope (alto saxophone); Clifford Scott, David "Fathead" Newman , Don Wilkerson, Jesse Powell, Illinois Jacquet, James Clay , John Hardee, King Curtis, Arnett Cobb, Wild Bill Moore , Wilton Felder, Booker Ervin, Budd Johnson, Buddy Tate (tenor saxophone); Harold Baker (trumpet); Nat Adderley (cornet); Keg Johnson (trombone); Adriano John Acea, Junior Mance, Red Garland, Ronnell Bright, Tommy Flanagan, Barry Harris , Wynton Kelly, Billy Kyle (piano); Don Patterson, Bert Kendrix, Albert Winston, Charles Kynard (organ); Wayne Robertson, Denzil Best, J.C. Heard, Alan Dawson , Paul Humphrey , Roy Brooks, Art Taylor, Ben Riley, Billy Higgins , Billy James , Belton Evans, Charlie Persip (drums); Ray Barretto (congas).
Audio Remasterer: Kirk Felton.
Liner Note Author: Bob Porter.
Recording information: Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (??/??/1946-08/11/1969).
Texas isn't the only place that's known for big-toned, hard-blowing tenor saxophonists--Chicago is equally famous in that area -- but it's certainly one of the first places that comes to mind when the subject of tenor playing comes up. Whether they are from Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, Austin or elsewhere -- whether their forte is hard bop, soul-jazz, post-bop or swing -- Texas' tenor players have been known for having fat tones and swinging aggressively. Spanning 1946-1969, this good to excellent compilation spotlights over a dozen tenor men who had some connection to the Lone Star State. They might not have spent their entire lives in Texas, but some type of Lone Star connection was there. Tenor fans will recognize most of the saxmen, who range from Arnett Cobb, King Curtis, and Illinois Jacquet, to Booker Ervin, Budd Johnson, and Don Wilkerson. James Clay and David "Fathead" Newman form a two-tenor front line for a 1960 interpretation of Babs Gonzales' "Wide Open Spaces," while Clifford Scott is featured on bluesman Jimmy Witherspoon's "Cane River" from the same year. And Wilton Felder of Crusaders fame is in fine form on organist Charles Kynard's 1969 number "Stomp" (which boasts Joe Pass on guitar). No, Texas Tenors isn't the last word on tenor men from the Lone Star State; but it's a rewarding collection that's well worth picking up. ~ Alex Henderson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 50,409
- UPC: 025218518321
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE