Brother Jack McDuff
Tobacco Road / Do It Now!
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
sku: COL 6405
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1472 (1967)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1484 (1967)
Description by OLDIES.com:
With his swinging Hammond B-3 sound, organist Brother Jack McDuff brought heart and soul to every tune he recorded. The two albums collected here were originally released on Atlantic in 1967. Highlights include a gospel-rooted, blues-inspired "Wade In the Water," a tasty rendition of "The Bigger Earth," and a jubilantly funky composition of his own, "Can't Get Satisfied."
- 1.Teardrops From My Eyes
- 2.Tobacco Road
- 3.The Shadow Of Your Smile
- 4.Can't Get Satisfied
- 5.Blowin In The Wind
- 6.And The Angels Sing
- 7.This Bitter Earth
- 8.Alexander's Ragtime Band
- 9.Wade In The Water
- 10.Snap Back Jack
- 11.Mush Melon
- 12.Summer Samba
- 13.Do It Now
- 14.Strolling Blues
- 15.Pleasant Moments
- 16.Mutt & Jeff
2 LPs on 1 CD: TOBACCO ROAD (1967)/DO IT NOW! (1967).
Includes liner notes by Tom Reed and Frank Talmadge.
Personnel: Brother Jack McDuff (Hammond organ); J.J. Jackson (conductor); Danny Turner (tenor saxophone, flute); Red Holloway (tenor saxophone); Lonnie Simmons (baritone saxophone); Fred Berry, King Kolax (trumpet); John Watson (trombone); Bobby Christian (vibraphone, percussion); Roland Faulkner, Calvin Green (guitar); Loyal J. Gresham (electric bass); Robert Guthrie, Joe Dukes (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1472).
DO IT NOW!:
Personnel: Brother Jack McDuff (Hammond organ); Danny Turner (alto & tenor saxophones, flute); Leo Johnson (tenor saxophone, flute); Melvin Sparks (electric guitar); Ray Appleton, Ray Lucas (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1484).
Personnel: Roland Faulkner (guitar); Melvin Sparks (electric guitar); Danny Turner (flute, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Leo Johnson (flute, tenor saxophone); Red Holloway (tenor saxophone); Lonnie Simmons (baritone saxophone); Frederick Berry, King Kolax (trumpet); Joe Dukes, Ray Lucas, Ray Appleton (drums); Bobby Christian (percussion).
Recording information: 08/22/1966-05/23/1967.
The four albums Brother Jack McDuff released on Atlantic between 1966 and 1968 were in a more purely R&B vein than the soul-jazz the organist played on his earlier work for Prestige. While the Atlantic dates had an eye on success in pop markets, they still offer jazz-organ fans plenty of McDuff's agile, driving sound. This reissue pulls together two of the releases from 1967. The programs are a mix of blues, pop tunes, standards, and McDuff originals. Atlantic's bid to get McDuff airplay means, in the interest of brevity, that almost half the tracks fade out on the endings. Throughout, McDuff makes a point of keeping a healthy portion of soulful grit in whatever he plays (a cornball cover of Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind" being one instance where McDuff's grit goes out the window). Four of the Tobacco Road tracks have McDuff's arrangements for a five-piece horn section. The other five tracks feature McDuff's regular quartet from this period. The highlight is the definitive version of "Wade in the Water," a gospel standard also variously attributed to McDuff or to pianist Ramsey Lewis, both of whom had hits with it. The Do it Now! date has a little more room for stretching out. Again, the players are the organist's working band, which at the time included the fine guitarist Melvin Sparks, an R&B version of an earlier McDuff collaborator, Grant Green. ~ Jim Todd
Philly Joe JonesPhilly Joe's Beat / Philly Joe Jones & Elvin Jones Together! (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Prestige Profiles (Plus Bonus CD, Volume 7) (2-CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Young-Holt Unlimited / Slide Hampton Oh Girl / Somethin' Sanctified (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE