- Released: March 28, 1994
- Label: Prestige
- 1.Seed Shack - Gene Ammons
- 2.Misty - Richard "Groove" Holmes
- 3.Soul Meeting - King Curtis
- 4.Honeydripper, The - Jack McDuff
- 5.When My Dreamboat Comes Home - Arnett Cobb
- 6.More Today Than Yesterday - Charles Earland
- 7.'Nother Fu'ther - Jack McDuff / Sonny Stitt
- 8.Dirty Apple - Johnny "Hammond" Smith
- 9.In the Kitchen - Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis
- 10.Please Mr. Jackson - Willis "Gator" Jackson
Includes liner notes by Carlo Wolff.
Personnel: Grant Green, Melvin Sparks, Bill Jennings, Eddie Diehl, Wally Richardson, Gene Edwards (guitar); Jerome Richardson (flute); Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis , Gene Ammons, Houston Person, Earl Edwards , Willia Jackson, Jimmy Forrest, King Curtis, Arnett Cobb, Sonny Stitt, Willis "Gator" Jackson (tenor saxophone); Nat Adderley, Virgil Jones (trumpet); Ray Bryant, Richard Wyands, Wynton Kelly (piano); Jack McDuff, Johnny "Hammond" Smith, Richard "Groove" Holmes, Shirley Scott, Charles Earland (organ); Jimmy Lewis & the Checkers , Jimmy Lewis (electric bass); Quinous Johnson, John Harris , Idris Muhammad, J.C. Heard, Alvin Johnson, Jimmie Smith , John Harris , Art Taylor, Arthur Edgehill, Ben Dixon, Belton Evans (drums); Ray Barretto, Buddy Caldwell (congas).
Audio Remasterer: Phil DeLancie.
Liner Note Author: Carlo Wolff.
Recording information: Englewood Cliffs, NJ (06/20/1958-12/15/1969); Hackensack, NJ (06/20/1958-12/15/1969).
Prestige Soul/Jazz Encyclopedia, Vol. 1 may be a bit of a presumptuous title for a disc that's little more than a solid compilation of funky soul-jazz highlights from the Prestige vaults. None of the tracks border on acid-jazz -- instead, this is a collection of straight-up, bluesy soul-jazz from the likes of King Curtis and Gene Ammons, and it's a highly enjoyable one at that. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine