Original Jazz Classics Sampler - New Jazz
by Various Artists
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: November 12, 2002
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: OJC
- 1.Rat Race Blues, The - Gigi Gryce
- 2.Minor Mishap - Idrees Sulieman / John Coltrane / Kenny Burrell / Tommy Flanagan
- 3.Will You Still Be Mine? - Lem Winchester / Benny Golson
- 4.C'est Formidable - Mal Waldron
- 5.Dacor - Art Taylor
- 6.Trinidad - Herbie Mann
- 7.Well Now - Roy Haynes
- 8.Cry! -Tender - Yusef Lateef
- 9.Help - Jimmy Forrest
- 10.Far Cry - Eric Dolphy / Booker Little
- 11.Rally - Ron Carter
- 12.Duh Dah, Da - King Curtis
- 13.March on, March On - Oliver Nelson
- 14.Late Leader - Jon Eardley
- 15.With Prestige - Art Farmer
Personnel: Kenny Burrell, Thornel Schwartz (guitar); Ron Carter (cello); Herbie Mann (flute); Eric Dolphy (bass clarinet, alto saxophone); Yusef Lateef (oboe, tenor saxophone); Gigi Gryce (alto saxophone); Frank Foster, Hank Mobley, Jimmy Forrest, John Coltrane, King Curtis, Oliver Nelson, Benny Golson, Charlie Rouse (tenor saxophone); Richard Gene Williams , Idrees Sulieman, Lonnie Hillyer , Jon Eardley, Nat Adderley, Art Farmer, Booker Little (trumpet); Pete Cera, Hugh Lawson, Jaki Byard, Kenny Drew, Mal Waldron, Pete Jolly, Richard Wyands, Tommy Flanagan, Walter Davis, Jr., Wynton Kelly (piano); Lem Winchester (vibraphone); Elvin Jones, Frank Gant, Jimmie Smith , Larry Bunker, Albert "Tootie" Heath, Louis Hayes, Mickey Roker, Oliver Jackson, Roy Haynes, Art Taylor, Charlie Persip (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Kirk Felton.
Liner Note Author: Michael Rozek.
Recording information: Hackensack, NJ (12/25/1954-06/20/1961); Los Angeles, CA (12/25/1954-06/20/1961); Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (12/25/1954-06/20/1961).
New Jazz was a series undertaken by Prestige Records to showcase new and underappreciated artists who were recording original and sometimes daring sounds. Some of the new artists featured on the 15-track collection that spans the years 1959-1964 are Oliver Nelson, Eric Dolphy, Lem Winchester, and Gigi Gryce. There are also early appearances (as sidemen) by such future innovators as John Coltrane, Larry Young, and Booker Little. The disc features classic tracks from landmark records like Yusef Lateef's "Cry!-Tender" from 1959's Cry!/Tender, Eric Dolphy's "Far Cry" from 1960's Far Cry, and Gigi Gryce's "The Rat Race Blues" from 1960's The Rat Race Blues. Also of note is "Da Duh Dah," a strong hard bop track by the mighty R&B saxman King Curtis from his jazz debut, The New Scene of King Curtis, from 1960. The entire disc is strong and exciting and very well-compiled. Highly recommended for all who are fans of uncompromising and thrilling hard bop. ~ Tim Sendra
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 53,889
- UPC: 025218371025
- Shipping Weight: 0.20/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Jazz Instrument: Avant-Garde / Downtown Music Categories:
- Aardvark Jazz Orchestra Passages (CD) ~ $15.39 CYBER WEEK
- Susanne Abbuehl Compass (CD) ~ $14.81 CYBER WEEK
- Muhal Richard Abrams Levels and Degrees of Light (CD) ~ $10.77 CYBER WEEK
- Muhal Richard Abrams Things to Come From Those Now Gone (CD) ~ $10.77 CYBER WEEK
- Accordion Tribe Lunghorn Twist (CD) ~ $20.24 CYBER WEEK