Terry Callier The New Folk Sound of Terry Callier [Bonus Tracks]
Only 4 copies left
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Terry Callier ~ What Color Is Love ~ $10.56
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: May 13, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Prestige
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Terry callier (vocals, acoustic guitar); Terbour Attenborough, John Tweedle (bass).
Recorded at Webb Studios, Chicago, Illinois on July 29, 1964. Originally released on Prestige (7383). Includes liner notes by Rent Foreman.
Personnel: Terry Callier (vocals, guitar).
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Recording information: Webb Recording, Chicago, IL (07/29/1964).
Nowadays, people know different. But when Terry Callier's first album sneaked out to little fanfare in the mid '60s, he was still Chicago's best-kept secret. It would be some time before he had an opportunity to fully exploit his soul and jazz influences. Callier's youthful voice, backed sympathetically here by his acoustic guitar plus two basses, was a strikingly androgynous instrument--sounding like a smooth, steady Nina Simone minus the simmering anger.
Over eight songs, four of them traditional, Callier's relaxed air belies his tender years. His calm presence turns the yearning "900 Miles" into a thing of haunting beauty. Selections such as "Oh Dear, What Can the Matter Be" and "Cotton Eyed Joe" are the real oddities, however, even in the remarkably varied Callier canon. Certainly the riff-driven "It's About Time" shows its teeth, a warm-hearted plea for peace more familiar to Callier converts. In hindsight, THE NEW FOLK SOUND doesn't look unhappy in the company of early Buckley, Hardin, et al. On its own merits, there is much more than mere curiosity value to recommend it. False starts are rarely so engaging.
About Time: the Terry Callier Story 1964-1980 (CD)
$22.19 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Someone Else's Arms / I Did It / I Call It Trouble (CD)
$12.07 Super Savings
The Right Tracks: The Complete OKeh Recordings 1963-1966 (CD)
$24.65 Super Savings
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$8.84 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE