Saturday Night Swing Session
by Various Artists
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
|You Save:||$8 (53% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: October 19, 1999
- Label: OJC
- 1.How High the Moon
- 3.Honeysuckle Rose
- 4.Flip and Jazz
- 5.Buck Still Jumps - (bonus track)
- 6.High on an Open Mike
- 7.Sweet Georgia Brown
Personnel: Roy Eldridge (vocals, trumpet); Mel Torme (vocals, drums); Flip Phillips, Charlie Ventura, Allen Eager (tenor saxophone); Fats Navarro (trumpet); Bill Harris (trombone); Mike Colicchio, Ralph Burns (piano); Al Casey, Al Valente (guitar); Eddie Safranski, Chubby Jackson (bass); Specs Powell, Buddy Rich (drums).
Recorded live at WNEW Saturday Night Swing Session, New York, New York in March & May 1947. Includes liner notes by Bob Bach.
Digitally remastered by Joe Tarantino (1999, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Roy Eldridge (vocals, trumpet); Mel Torm‚ (vocals, drums); Al Valente, Al Casey (guitar); Flip Phillips, Allen Eager, Charlie Ventura (tenor saxophone); Fats Navarro (trumpet); Bill Harris (trombone); Mike Colicchio, Ralph Burns (piano); Specs Powell, Buddy Rich (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Liner Note Author: Bob Bach.
Recording information: New York, NY (03/1947/05/1947).
Composed of broadcast sessions from 1947, Saturday Night Swing Session proves that there was some middle ground between swing and early bebop after all, contradicting the widely held impression that the bop movement split the jazz world into two neatly divided, non-communicating factions. Swing stylists, bop pioneers, and in-betweeners populate these performances, which feature -- among many others -- trumpeters Roy Eldridge and Fats Navarro, drummer Buddy Rich, vocalist Mel Torm‚, tenor saxophonists Flip Phillips, Charlie Ventura, and Allen Eager, and trombonist Bill Harris. The music is stimulating, accessible, and historically important. ~ Steve Huey
The Poll WinnersExploring the Scene (with Shelly Manne & Ray Brown) (CD)
Lester YoungLester Young in Washington, D.C., 1956, Volume 3 (Live) (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 58,492
- UPC: 025218191524
- Shipping Weight: 0.23/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
It Had To Be You: 24 Standards In Singer's Keys (CD)
$18.71 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Young-Holt Unlimited / Slide Hampton Oh Girl / Somethin' Sanctified (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE