Gone With the Woodwinds!
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
|You Save:||$8 (53% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Duane Tatro ~ Jazz For Moderns ~ $13.48
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: December 24, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: OJC
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Lyle Murphy (conductor); Russ Cheever (soprano & alto saxophones, flute); Buddy Collette (alto & tenor saxophones, flute, clarinet); Abe Most (alto saxophone, flute, clarinet); Jack Dumont (alto saxophone, clarinet); Chuck Gentry (baritone saxophone, bass & contrabass clarinets); Andre Previn (piano); Curtis Counce (bass); Shelly Manne (drums).
Recorded in Los Angeles, California on August 16 & October 11, 1955.
Personnel: Buddy Collette (flute, clarinet, reeds, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Abe Most (flute, clarinet, reeds, alto saxophone); Russ Cheever (clarinet, reeds, soprano saxophone, alto saxophone); Jack Dumont (clarinet, reeds, alto saxophone); Chuck Gentry (bass clarinet, contrabass clarinet, reeds, baritone saxophone); Andr‚ Previn (piano); Shelly Manne (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Liner Note Author: Lyle "Spud" Murphy.
Recording information: Los Angeles, CA (08/16/1955/10/11/1955).
Director: Lyle "Spud" Murphy.
Photographers: Pauline Annon; William Claxton.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Chuck Gentry; Curtis Counce; Russ Cheever; Jack Dumont; Abe Most; Lyle "Spud" Murphy; Andr‚ Previn ; Shelly Manne; Buddy Collette.
Arranger: Lyle "Spud" Murphy.
In the late '40s, Lyle Murphy, a top arranger during the swing era who led his own big band on dates from 1938-39, developed a 12-tone system of composing arranging. Although he spent much of his later career as a writer for films, he did record two jazz-oriented albums in the mid-'50s; the other set was for GNP Crescendo. This particular outing (originally cut for Contemporary and reissued on a 1997 CD) finds Murphy contributing 12-tone compositions (six of the ten pieces are his) and arrangements for five woodwinds, pianist Andre Previn, bassist Curtis Counce and drummer Shelly Manne. The ensembles do sound a bit odd, but the music swings in its own fashion and is more accessible than one would expect. Buddy Collette and Abe Most are among the reed players. An intriguing set. ~ Scott Yanow
Terry GibbsThe Dream Band, Volume 2: The Sundown Sessions (Live) (CD)
The Poll WinnersExploring the Scene (with Shelly Manne & Ray Brown) (CD)
$10.56 LABOR DAY
Shelly MannePlay More Music From Peter Gunn - Son of Gunn! (CD)
$10.56 LABOR DAY
Sonny StittStitt's Bits: Bebop Recordings 1949-1952 [Box Set] (3-CD...
$25.50 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 52,804
- UPC: 025218190527
- Shipping Weight: 0.20/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Young-Holt Unlimited / Slide Hampton Oh Girl / Somethin' Sanctified (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE